mazda5 hood rock-chips:plastidip/spot pain/repaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK BITOGers,

so after some 30k miles , Mazda5 developed more then a few rock chips on the front hood.

what would be a good 2-3 years fix:
-do it right, repaint everything: typical cost? (is Mazda paint that "chippy"?)
-spot paint with a color pen with my amazing non-existent auto painting skills
-spot paint to fill the chips and plastidip, then peel and do the whole hood right in about 2-3 years?

What do you say?

What color is the vehicle? I always just use the color pen/brush. It might not blend perfectly, but you stop noticing it after a day or so, and it holds up pretty well as long as the area is clean before you apply the paint.

A repaint at that age of vehicle seems extreme. Consider a 2-3 year lease for your next vehicle, paint will always look good then.

I leave it. I love a good road warrior with battle wounds to show for its high mileage. With about 5k miles on my car I accidentally got behind a truck leaking small rocks like a busted waterbed. No wonder the lanes were clear in the middle of rush hour traffic. Its now a reminder to pay attention to the vehicles in front of me.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I leave it. I love a good road warrior with battle wounds to show for its high mileage...

But , But, you live in Texas
I live in the rust belt :-((
on the other hand:
does it deter others from parking close to you?

Last edited:
I just did this on the 2012 Camry. Washed car, prepped all the chips first with rubbing alcohol/let dry real well. Then used the touch up pen on all the chips. The more pressure you apply to the tip the more paint comes out. So a small chip requires very little pressure. The larger ones are easier to fill since one quick moderate amount of pressure will do it. Quick and easy.

I was putting this off for a LONG time. I did the hood, front and rear bumper covers etc. Cost: $10 for the paint. Easy peazy.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: E150GT
I leave it. I love a good road warrior with battle wounds to show for its high mileage...

But , But, you live in Texas
I live in the rust belt :-((
on the other hand:
does it deter others from parking close to you?

Good point. I bought a touch up paint pen from the dealer. I guess I will give it a try.
It definitely does not deter anyone from parking near me. It also did not deter me from swiping the side of my truck with my car while backing out of my driveway. Whoops. Touch up paint wont fix that...

Thank you all!

The vehicle is a metallic silver (just a bit darker than regular silver). 38P

I will pickup the correction pens from a mazda dealer today. (1 will sit in the glove compartment for just in case)

Still thinking of using plastidip in some grey closer to my color, just to protect the hood from rocks...

(After getting a windshield replaced, I do not follow trucks/semis too closely)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back