Getting a DVP to play on older style Toshiba TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Toshiba is a 7 year old, non-flat screen TV. The last time I had the Sony Digital Video Player (NS-57P) running properly was before Comcast came in and changed the cable box 2 years ago. And frankly, before that, it was a pita to figure which various buttons to toggle on the Cable and DVP remotes to get it to work. All history now, notes thrown out by mistake and long forgotten. Reviewed a dozen or more websites, Comcast, utube for ideas. None of that helped. I do recall having to get to AUX/TV and analog stations 3/4 to get things to work years ago.

Figured I'd disconnect the TV from the cable and see if I could get it to work with the simplest of 3 RCA cables (video out (1) and audio out (2) at the rear of TV and DVP. Didn't work with TV on analog stations 3 or 4. The DVP is running and responding to its remote so I know the Mrs' Yoga CD is playing as it did 2-3 years ago. Tried the 5 jack method using component ports (3) and audio (2). Nothing.

Even when I get the DVP working just on the TV, it's going to be a problem making it work with cable connected. Currently the cable just goes into the TV. I see on some websites that the coax cable should go into the VCR and then also from the VCR to TV (2 coax cables). I never needed that setup before as RCA cables connected the VCR to the TV before (3-5 RCA connections).

Seems like there should be some "source" selector on the TV or DVP remote to ensure VCR is "selected" to the TV. I've done that years ago....no clue today. Help.........

You need to set the source on the TV to "line in". Also sometimes called "Video". Channels 3 or 4 are used with the threaded coaxial antenna input.

Originally Posted By: mk378
You need to set the source on the TV to "line in". Also sometimes called "Video". Channels 3 or 4 are used with the threaded coaxial antenna input.

I recall doing that years ago. But this time around none of the buttons on the cable remote give me access to a menu with input "sources" to select. Pressing "TV," "Setup," "input/VCR," "aux," would be the 4 most obvious choices. Pushing them doesn't bring up any other features.

VCR viewing on this TV would be done on analog station 3.

Why are you trying to control the TV with a cable remote? Use the TV remote or the buttons on the front of the TV.

Also this should be obvious, but make sure you are usingthe Out jacks on the player connected to In jacks on the TV.

Last edited:
Why are you trying to control the TV with a cable remote? Use the TV remote or the buttons on the front of the TV.

Also this should be obvious, but make sure you are using the Out jacks on the player connected to In jacks on the TV.

While controlling the TV/DVD with the cable remote would be nice, I'm just trying to get the basics here.

This is a DVD player - there are zero inputs as it only plays (output only). One yellow video output jack going to one yellow TV video input jack. In fact the TV has no "video output" jacks on the reverse. Hard to mess that up.

The issue has to be with getting the TV/cable to recognize the DVD Player. Before we got a new cable box and a new silver (red ok) cable remote, it was no problem getting the TV into an analog ch. 3/video input mode. Can't seem to do it on this one. On my old cable box I recall hitting a button for TV/analog mode - then I was able to select a menu and pick "video/aux 1." That's not the case on this one.

I played around with TV codes for my Toshiba. But, after the top 20 recommended codes (none worked) I can see where that's headed.

Universal remotes often don't support advanced features like changing the input. You should use the remote that came with the TV.

Sometimes selecting channel 00 or 01 will go to line input.

Last edited:
Do you have the Toshiba remote that came with the TV? Does the TV have a button on it labeled input or tv/video?

Universal remotes often don't support advanced features like changing the input. You should use the remote that came with the TV.

Sometimes selecting channel 00 or 01 will go to line input.

The Toshiba remote had weak batteries. Going through the drill again with cable coax disconnected, the DVD player does work fine...after changing the inputs via the Toshiba remote (analog, digital, video 1, video 2, color stream). Been too many years.

Ok, so now try the same thing with cable hooked to the TV and ensure I can flip back and forth from TV/analog/DVD mode to cable....disconnecting the coax each time and then having to reset my cable box is a pain. So far, cable is not coming back...box won't stay on and TV display says signal strength is too low for digital reception. That's great! So we traded in a Yoga DVD for our cable reception...lol. No good deed goes unpunished. Since the phone and computer are working fine, I don't think my cable TV signal is "weak."

Thanks for the help and inputs.

DVD and cable both working together now. It seems I was over-thinking cable as being "digital." You have to select "analog" on the TV selector source for digital cable.

If your digital cable box is still hooked to your TV with 5x RCA cables you got ripped off. Get a HDMI cable from the dollar store and hook them together that way.

You *can* have hi-def over analog video, with each color on its own cable, Y/Pr/Pb or something. They did this to avoid paying for HDMI cables back when they were expensive 7 years ago.

Cable companies are like computer viruses, they take over your TV so it can only see the cable box so you get "addicted" to them. They'd love you to fill their loaned PVR with "your" programs so you won't cut the cord and give it all back. As said above, find your real TV remote.

Some TVs let you put standard def NTSC video in one of the three RCA video inputs and it'll figure it out. If you play around you might find two with funky colors and one that works.

But, glad you got it worked out!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If your digital cable box is still hooked to your TV with 5x RCA cables you got ripped off. Get a HDMI cable from the dollar store and hook them together that way.

You *can* have hi-def over analog video, with each color on its own cable, Y/Pr/Pb or something. They did this to avoid paying for HDMI cables back when they were expensive 7 years ago.

The TV has always been hooked up from Comcast with a coax cable that runs through my basement and up into the TV set. Just one cable. Doesn't look like HDMI or anything. The 3/5 RCA cables that I'm using run from the DVD player to the TV set. No RCA cables are part of my cable TV set up. My TV probably isn't HD capable so until that dies, I can do without High Def signal from Comcast. The back of my DVD player and the TV do have those upgraded video output jacks you mention (Y, Pr, Pb)...though my color reception on the VCR is just fine on the single line video feed.

Where is the cable tuner box then? You have to have a cable box between the cable from the street and the TV.

The coaxial input to the TV is simple to set up, but gives you mediocre picture quality and mono sound.

Where is the cable tuner box then? You have to have a cable box between the cable from the street and the TV.

The coaxial input to the TV is simple to set up, but gives you mediocre picture quality and mono sound.

The Cable box (Scientific Atlanta) is under the TV. A 3 ft coax cable connects the cable output to the TV input. The signal line from outside the house goes through the basement and into the Cable input connection. All coax cables. There are RCA connections on the back of the cable box (not used).

You should use those RCA jacks instead of the coax. Use the best connection that the box and the TV both support. In order from worst to best, the connection types are:

Coaxial (one threaded cable)
RCA composite + audio (yellow + red + white)
S-Video + audio (small round plug + red + white RCA)
Component + audio (5 RCA's)
HDMI (flat plug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back