High mileage oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are dyslexic it may be a good choice........
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
If you are dyslexic it may be a good choice........
shocked.gif

What ?

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Nope, won't cause any problems. This for your 3800?

Or the Chevy Sonic 1.8 l . Which would require Dexos spec .

The 3800 Buick does not call for Dexos spec .

Yep, I know that the 3800 doesn't need Dexos. But many HM oils don't meet it anyway (as they're conventional). Just curious. Maxlife meets Dexos it and would be a good choice for both of your cars.

Yep, I know that the 3800 doesn't need Dexos. But many HM oils don't meet it anyway (as they're conventional). Just curious. Maxlife meets Dexos it and would be a good choice for both of your cars.

Many (most?) HM oils are actually a blend..

That said, there is generally no problem with starting to use HM oils when the mileage on your car is low (below the HM recommendation).. it won't CAUSE leaks or make your car dependent on them. HM oils just have a slightly higher-than-normal amount of certain additives compared to non-HM oils. As TmanP stated, MaxLife would work great. I frequently run this in my Fusion, in fact it's in there now for my current (8k OCI expected) fill.

Right, I misspoke. But most of these oils, while they are a blend, aren't robust enough to meet the Dexos spec. Maxlife is a notable exception, but PHM/MS5K/Castrol HM don't meet dexos. I think that they're closer to a conventional but may technically be a blend, possibly to meet SN specs.

+1 TmanP. You nailed it with that. I have heard Valvoline Maxlife is 50% full synthetic now.

Right, I misspoke. But most of these oils, while they are a blend, aren't robust enough to meet the Dexos spec. Maxlife is a notable exception, but PHM/MS5K/Castrol HM don't meet dexos. I think that they're closer to a conventional but may technically be a blend, possibly to meet SN specs.

One must be cautious here as the Vavoline Full Synthetic with Maxlife Technology is in fact a Dexos1 Gen 2 oil. The standard Maxlife is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back