what have you fit/carried in your wagon/hatckback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

Please, first, I apologize if I'm not seeking stories of the 8-seater wood panel fits-drywall-inside wagons...
Those where BIG.

Just curious what where you able to fit or carry in your wagon/hatchback vehicle/car.

Let me start:
-in my mazda5, I was able to fit (both back-rows down) tools and various supplies, pieces of furniture in the same volume that it took me 2-3 transports using my Yaris sedan

Last edited:
..also carried (with the mazda5):
-2 and 3 8'x30" doors
-8-9-10' trim, crown molding, wood planks
-a whole 5' desk (that was "funny" taking curves and the big thingy sliding around....phew)

I once put a wheelbarrow in my CX5, as well as a small dresser. Not too bad. I also put a jackhammer on a dolly into my 2010 Mazda 3 sedan.

I have moved recliners with an Accord/335. I have also done 8' pieces of lumber in my G37S coupe.

I renovated a house with an Accord/TSX/G37S coupe. So basically whatever it took there.

The suspension on my 335i is quite stout. It is basically the M Sport suspension and will carry anything you can fit in the car/trunk without showing any loading issues at all.

Ironically, the time spent with the F150 was quite tame compared to what I did with my cars. In the future, I will either pay for delivery on cubic yards of soil and mulch if I can't find a truck to borrow. This assumes buying in bulk. If it is bagged, I will simply load what fits in the car and do a few trips. Working by the car load keeps from overloading the old body around the house.

In my old S-15 Jimmy (compact 2-door SUV/lifted wagon) I carried a chest-on-chest from my sister's place to my parent's. Had to remove the interior-mounted spare tire and put it on the passenger seat for the ride, but that thing literally fit like a glove inside the cargo area and I was able to close the glass-hatch as well.

"Fit" is a generous word, but I frequently transported a kayak shoved into the back of my Subaru wagon when the roof racks were full a few years back.

2005 ( smaller) Rav-4 with the tire outside hanging on the gate-swing door giving it a low flat floor.

Put a super-capacity dryer still in the box in the back with the rear seat folded - piece of cake!

You cant do this with the spare under the floor.

the Wife use to put a hard shell kayak in the Forester last season. She HATES putting the Kayak on the ( no very inventive) THULE carrier on the jacked Impreza wagon (AKA: Crosstrek XV)

15 bags of mulch at a time with just the third row seats down.

Does my Sedona count? If so, I fit an entire sectional couch in the back with the 2nd and 3rd row seats pulled out/folded into the floor. It was a big sectional too. When it comes to an all-around practical vehicle, it's hard to beat a minivan. It's just a big station wagon, after all. Who doesn't love that?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
When it comes to an all-around practical vehicle, it's hard to beat a minivan. It's just a big station wagon, after all. Who doesn't love that?
smile.gif

YES!! And they can be found cheap!!

A local salvage yard makes "Mini flatbed" trucks from old minivans to run a round the wrecking yard with. I'd like to find a cheap one to do the same as a little farm truck flatbed for my ranch.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
When it comes to an all-around practical vehicle, it's hard to beat a minivan. It's just a big station wagon, after all. Who doesn't love that?
smile.gif

A local salvage yard makes "Mini flatbed" trucks from old minivans to run a round the wrecking yard with. I'd like to find a cheap one to do the same as a little farm truck flatbed for my ranch.

[off-topic]
May I recommend the pictures posts from GreeCGuy? He had an old van run as a citrus farm implement (redneck fuel tank, tree branches lift/carry, no windshield, etc etc)
[/off-topic]

a couple years back we fit around 40bags of mulch in the back of the vibe,rear seats folded down.

were we worried about overloading the suspension? not really the struts have been blown for years.
and we weren't even driving that load a mile back to the house.

2007 Prius, two full sized dishwashers from a Lowes parking lot sale, buy and have to take then. Eight foot lumber, ten foot lumber if a towel is on the dash to prevent scratching. All with the hatch closed. Now I have a Volt, it won't carry as much because the passenger seat doesn't fold as flat as the Prius. I hope it still fits the eight foot lumber I think it will.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Linctex
smile.gif

[off-topic]
May I recommend the pictures posts from GreeCGuy? He had an old van run as a citrus farm implement (redneck fuel tank, tree branches lift/carry, no windshield, etc etc)
[/off-topic]
Is he still around ?? haven't seen or noticed any posts for a long time.

I've hauled quite a few 16' 2x8 boards in my grandparent's Trailblazer. One end on the dash and the rest hanging way out the hatch window. I've also hauled probably 800 pounds of concrete and bricks in the trunk, might have been more. It's hauled dishwashers, washing machines, chest freezers, etc.

32" Sony Trinitron tube TV (in box) in the back of my "3 door" 1995 Integra GS-R hatchback along with matching stand (also in box).

I wanted it that day so I passed on free delivery. I shoved it into the back with the rear seats down and I still couldn't close the hatch. I held down the hatch with some twine that they had at the store for this kind of thing. I did end up ripping the trunk carpeting (I got a factory trunk mat to cover that up) and cracked one of the clips that hold the interior panels to the body.

And the irony is that later I returned the TV for an exchange and had a new TV delivered. It was the same series that physically had the same dimensions and same tube, but it had an S-video input and additional features for $100 more. They picked up the old one for free with delivery . Well - actually I rejected that one because it was damaged. The plastic case was cracked at the top, but they said maybe try it out and they could come back later with a replacement. When I turned it on the screen looked purple. They took it back and left my previous one in place until they could go back and schedule another delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back