Mouse in bedroom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've been hearing scratching/clawing sounds in the walls. I've heard this before, but never noticed any mice inside of the living areas.

This changed Sunday night. I heard scratching in the wall as I was falling asleep. Around 3 AM, I woke up and the [censored] mouse was IN MY BED! Now I was half asleep, and I figured since I was paranoid about the sounds as I fell asleep, I must've been dreaming and ended up going back to sleep.

Last night I decided to set a trap in the corner just to play it safe. At 1 AM, I woke up and definitely noticed a mouse IN THE BED again! After much swearing, I turned the light on and found one dead in the trap I had set.

Fed up, at 1 AM I disinfected the area, disposed of the mouse, and resorted to drastic measures. I grabbed a can of Right Stuff from the garage and proceeded to fill the voids where the hot water baseboard pipes come into the room. I figured this is where they were coming in, as there was a pretty large void between the pipes and floorboards.

I'm running on about two hours of sleep since Sunday. Today I am going to seal as many entryways from the outside as I can find, and (I kid you not) set my tent up in my room so that I can get a restful night's sleep before I go insane.

Anyone else ever deal with this? My house was built in like 1880, so it probably has seen it's fair share of this before. I know the previous owner mentioned it to me, and I noticed he had plenty of traps setup downstairs.

oh man I feel for you. The worst I had was a cockroach on me in the middle of the night. Occasionally I hear animals under my house but I leave them be.

My two cats have become quite the formidable hunters over the years so we are getting a variety of critters brought into the house starting this past spring. The cats keep them cornered for me though so they are easy to just snatch up and toss out a window.

So far I've gotten mice, rabbits, moles, moths (the 8 inch wingspan kind), and of course birds. They range from dead to barely alive to very much alive and willing to fight.

In terms of keeping out ones that want to come in, its all about sealing those gaps. There are deterrents you could use around the outside perimeter too, but I'm not familiar with their effectiveness.

OP,
I know... I hate the smell of their sweaty/pee/drops which is typical of them....

you will have to close any opening bigger than a dime....

check your door/windows corners and seals

...now a quote from Wanted: "They suckers for peanut butter...."

I can't deal with that.
I'm out in nature all day but no mice in the bed. I'd do as you did.
I'd get an electronic pest controller- If you need a recommendation PM me.
Some are actually great and others are worthless.
Mice gross me out- they are dirty and it only takes a few to wreck a garage or house.

Don't feel bad I'd do the same. I'd be up cleaning all night.

Glue traps have done well for us. We live in a residential area with a lot of desert space around the houses, so there are quite a few mice that hit our house. Good old fashioned mousetraps never worked, or never worked well, but the glue traps did fine. Some times I would put a small amount of peanut butter in the middle. Be careful about placing them if dogs or small kids are around. I'd try to avoid spraying in a room where I'm going to be sleeping for several hours. We tried placing the traps where we had seen mice scurry before.

I would also try cats. We didn't because of allergies, but if everyone can handle a cat, that would probably be better than a trap.

Last edited:
crazy2.gif

I'd go crazy if I had anything bigger than a silverfish bug!
I guess this is why I choose to rent an apt where my rent can go to hiring exterminators and upgrades to prevent these issues, than own a home and deal with this excitement.

But I will admit, I would like my own garage someday
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Lately I've been hearing scratching/clawing sounds in the walls. I've heard this before, but never noticed any mice inside of the living areas.

This changed Sunday night. I heard scratching in the wall as I was falling asleep. Around 3 AM, I woke up and the [censored] mouse was IN MY BED! Now I was half asleep, and I figured since I was paranoid about the sounds as I fell asleep, I must've been dreaming and ended up going back to sleep.

Last night I decided to set a trap in the corner just to play it safe. At 1 AM, I woke up and definitely noticed a mouse IN THE BED again! After much swearing, I turned the light on and found one dead in the trap I had set.

Fed up, at 1 AM I disinfected the area, disposed of the mouse, and resorted to drastic measures. I grabbed a can of Right Stuff from the garage and proceeded to fill the voids where the hot water baseboard pipes come into the room. I figured this is where they were coming in, as there was a pretty large void between the pipes and floorboards.

I'm running on about two hours of sleep since Sunday. Today I am going to seal as many entryways from the outside as I can find, and (I kid you not) set my tent up in my room so that I can get a restful night's sleep before I go insane.

Anyone else ever deal with this? My house was built in like 1880, so it probably has seen it's fair share of this before. I know the previous owner mentioned it to me, and I noticed he had plenty of traps setup downstairs.

I'd get these too, and put them everywhere (leave flat and put in out-of-the way places); work great & economical!
Catchmaster Value Pack! Home Pest Traps, 12 count (less than $5 for 12-pack!)
Catchmaster 872SD
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Catchmaster-Value-Pack-Home-Pest-Traps-12-count/42294381

Stuff the holes with steel wool. They can chew through anything but don't seem to like steel wool. Of course clean the house, don't leave food or water out.

Anywhere can get mice, it's no fun but it's not uncommon, you can get rid of them.

The first thing to try is to get a cat.

Second things is a cat.

I also have many snap traps made of black plastic. Easier to set and less chance of mouse eating and running away.

Peanut butter for bait.

The ultrasonic things may work but they do not go far. A few feet maybe. I have 4 in baseboard outlets in bedroom and have heard a mouse in cathedral ceiling.

We had one in the basement,trapped it and no more.The garage though was different, I have gotten several and think I am finally done. They do love peanut butter even more than me!

Mice and rats getting into your property are a serious concern because they can spread the hantavirus in their urine and feces droppings, and when you sweep it can become airborne and infect you.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
My two cats have become quite the formidable hunters over the years so we are getting a variety of critters brought into the house starting this past spring. The cats keep them cornered for me though so they are easy to just snatch up and toss out a window.

Obligatory:
cat-gun.jpg

Last time I had a mouse on the bed the CAT caught it and played with it on top of my bed! I did find a hole from the garage to my room filled with expanding foam spray. The problem started when I was feeding birds on a daily basis.

The house was a previous rental and sat unoccupied for a while.

The basement is filthy, tons of dead bugs in the garage as well. I should probably vacuum those areas out.

Literally going home, removing all vegitation around the foundation and sealing the foundation with mortar in all areas I can find. That and setting more traps with peanut butter.

Last edited:
Stop by your nearest shelter and get a kitty cat
smile.gif
An outside cat will keep all critters away from your house too.

You'll need more than one trap. Scatter several around and remove food sources. You'll know when you've almost caught them all when you start catching the really small ones.

A night light, as ludicrous as it sounds, could help keep them away from your bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back