Used cop car review, 2008 Crown Vic P71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up (for a friend) a used 2008 Crown Vic cop car, $3K, 60,200 miles from South Florida. He thought it would make a good commuter car.

Having never been in one, I expected it to be similar to the rental Crown Vic's I liked so much. Nope! It's noisy inside, with vinyl floors and no back seat. So noisy, I can't hear my phone on speaker without putting it up to my ear.

Interestingly, it's extremely stiff riding. Much like an enthusiasts road race/track car might be. Which is simply strange in a car this big. The shocks are not tuned for a soft ride, and the springs seem to be lower and higher rate. Suddenly the smooth Florida highways are quite bumpy. Those suspension mods do allow the car to corner quite well. 60MPH on the cloverleaf was no problem at all, about the same as my S2000 turbo! So, the cornering grip is good, but that does not mean it's a precise or accurate driving car. It's not. In fact, I'd say the driving dynamics are "wonky" and take a bit to get used to. You can drive it like an idiot, and it seems to remain in some semblance of control. Yes, this thing will easily out-corner an eco-vehicle like the BMW i3 or a Prius.

This one has the 3.27 open rear axle, coupled with the 2 valve 4.6L V8 and dual exhaust. That means it jumps off the line quickly, and will spin the right rear tire right off the bat. Yet the car is not fast and the acceleration rate (other than the off the line "jump) is lackluster, about on par with a Prius. Maybe 8 or 9 seconds 0-60. Also the engine turns 2500 RPM at 80, a bit higher than I'd like. No idea on the MPG, but other owners seem to get about 20 miles to the gallon. Top speed is said to be 129MPH with the 3.27 rear axle.

The transmission is also tuned for firmer shifts, and you notice each shift. It clearly is not tuned for economy, as it does not upshift into top gear too soon. Nice.

As you might expect, people go slow in front of you.

Overall, not a bad deal for $3000, and with a little work, some quieter tires (the old Goodyear Eagle RS's are very noisy) and some paint touch up, it could be a very inexpensive way to commute in a reliable, very long lasting vehicle that is in it's own way, fun to drive.

Last edited:
I fully would have expected that is what you would have received honestly.
They sell police cars here as new to the public. Spartan and harsh is the norm.

The Caprice is totally different. It is very quiet on the inside and has a back seat. Then again it is a totally different car than a Crown Vic. While it does have rubber floors it receives the same sound deadening as the Holden's in Australia do. The Caprice will run mid to high 13's, Zero to sixty in about 5.2 to 5.5 seconds depending on how optioned and has a top speed of 155. Has a sport shift mode to change and firm up shifts.

It is really not a fair comparison I suppose as it is 6 years newer. The Caprice does handle well and has big vented disk so it stops better than expected. Problem with mine was with no equipment it sat way to high, I swapped in stock Chevy SS springs and it was night and day for ride quality and height. Dropped it an inch and half all the way around. It smoothed the ride out instantly. The springs in the Police cars are set up for a bunch of extra weight. The center divider I pulled out of mine was 300ish lbs.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
the car is not fast

How much do you want to bet that the cars are detuned before the public gets their hands on them?

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I always wanted a police crown Vic.

have the Crown Vics ever come in Wagon form? (beside the Lincoln hearses....)

Me too. The hard part was finding a low mileage used one that wasn't abused. I never found one. I've owned 4 Crown Vics from 1988-2002 and it was the norm that people would slow down on the highway wherever I went. Last Crown Vic/Grand Marquis were the 2011's. If I want another one soon I better stake it out.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: Cujet
the car is not fast

How much do you want to bet that the cars are detuned before the public gets their hands on them?

Why would they bother? The Police Interceptor variants are barely making more power than the regular Crown Victorias. Why would departments and dealers spend even more money to remove parts in order to rob it of 15hp?

Cop cars were never known for being terribly fast. They don't need to be.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I've owned 4 Crown Vics from 1988-2002 and it was the norm that people would slow down on the highway wherever I went.

My friend in college had a CVPI he got from an auction. It didn't have the antennas or equipment inside but still had the front guard and non-functioning light. At first it was funny because nobody would pass him on the highway, but then it got annoying because people would constantly do under the speed limit in front of him.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

have the Crown Vics ever come in Wagon form? (beside the Lincoln hearses....)

Not since 1990 or 91. There has never been a wagon in the most recent body style.

There is no detuning. Any changes to the engine would violate federal emissions guidelines. I know of no department willing to modify a police vehicle. Doing so would require the department to recertify the emissions system for compliance. Altough the crown vic with the 3.55 limited slip or locking differential is the slightly quicker car, it is factory locked to 120 mph to prevent driveshaft failure.

Originally Posted By: 03cvpi
There is no detuning. Any changes to the engine would violate federal emissions guidelines. I know of no department willing to modify a police vehicle. Doing so would require the department to recertify the emissions system for compliance. Altough the crown vic with the 3.55 limited slip or locking differential is the slightly quicker car, it is factory locked to 120 mph to prevent driveshaft failure.

Agreed, I work for a police agency, nothing is done to the auction cars besides debadge them, and take emergency sirens/flashers off.

The CVPI is not fast, especially with gear loaded in the trunk.

The caprice is a much faster car, but more problematic.

Only real difference with the engine I have run into is the calibration code. CVPI have a higher idle speed to turn the alternator faster mainly.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
2500 rpm @80 and thats higher than you would like?

My F150 turns about 1900 at 80. Seems more relaxed.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: 03cvpi

Agreed, I work for a police agency, nothing is done to the auction cars besides debadge them, and take emergency sirens/flashers off.

The CVPI is not fast, especially with gear loaded in the trunk.

The caprice is a much faster car, but more problematic.

That is the stupid DOD.

Mine came with the flasher module installed and lights in the trunk as it went through up fit but never went into service. Has the 170 amp alternator and 2 batteries.

At this point I don't even get a second look as maybe being a cop car and I like that. I get...Nice SS, Malibu, Impala...

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
All these wannabe police who like to feel all big and make people think they're a cop lol [censored] you

????

I just wanted a fairly cheap 6.0/6L80E 4 door car.

The Caprice is a bit different but I never recommend a used LE vehicle. I oversee them in my fleet and by the time they go to auction, they are tired. I think Mike's was a bit different as it was a demo. Hard life but not as hard as the LE life.

And yes, those who work with these vehicles can tell from a mile away if the are LE or civilian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back