Duralast GT brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had Duralast Gold brake rotors and the Duralast GT brake pads put on the front of my Altima 3.5. It is obviously extremely early to say one way or another how truly good these products are. The initial performance has been very good so far. I did the initial bed in process. The GT pads are rated FF which surprised me a bit because these are the performance pads. Nothing at all wrong with FF rated brake pads. The last ones were the Akebono Performance street pads GG rated. I am very pleased thus far with these brake pads. Good initial bite and they certainly have very good slow/stopping power from 75 mph plus. It is still extremely early for a comprehensive review. But, I have to say that I am very pleased to this point. I hope these perform as well as the Akebono Performance street pads I had on there before. I couldn't buy them again because AAP stopped carrying them.

Good quick review.
You & I have discussed brake Coefficient of Friction in the past.
Keep us posted over the next few months on their performance.

What country were the pads made in?

Glad to hear they are working well so far. It will be interesting to hear your review after a few miles. How was the cost compared to the Akebono you purchased last time?

The Akebono Performance pads are also available from RockAuto and Tire Rack.

I didn't catch where they were made. They cost $82. The Akebono Performance street pads cost $72. I have been very pleased to this point. It is very, very early so we will see.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I just had Duralast Gold brake rotors and the Duralast GT brake pads put on the front of my Altima 3.5. It is obviously extremely early to say one way or another how truly good these products are. The initial performance has been very good so far. I did the initial bed in process. The GT pads are rated FF which surprised me a bit because these are the performance pads. Nothing at all wrong with FF rated brake pads. The last ones were the Akebono Performance street pads GG rated. I am very pleased thus far with these brake pads. Good initial bite and they certainly have very good slow/stopping power from 75 mph plus. It is still extremely early for a comprehensive review. But, I have to say that I am very pleased to this point. I hope these perform as well as the Akebono Performance street pads I had on there before. I couldn't buy them again because AAP stopped carrying them.

The reason why Akebono are GG is the fact they are Ceramic compound.
I personally hate them as compare to organic pads (mostly rated FF) there is no initial bite whatsoever, at least compare to manufacturers like ATE, Textar or Pagid.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I personally hate them as compare to organic pads (mostly rated FF) there is no initial bite whatsoever, at least compare to manufacturers like ATE, Textar or Pagid.

I'm running akebono street performance and they have good cold bite which increases to excellent as they warm up. GG is the highest friction rating a pad can have.

Organic pads are junk, dust like crazy and wear fast. Drum brake liners are usually organic material.

Have you even driven a set of akebono brakes?

You need to do some more reading

I have to say SilverFusion that my Akebono Performance street pads were really good to me as well. I was not impressed with the Wagner Thermoquiets which did not last long at all compared to the Akebono. I do think Edyvw is right about the formulation of the Akebono Performance street pads. Edyvw did you run the Akebono pads as well??

I really do like these Duralast GT brake pads to this point. Very good initial bite and seem to be just as good at higher speeds in terms of slowing down power as well. It is obviously very early yet though.

They are ceramic. That was the one thing he said that was correct.

The duralast I don't know. They could be semi metallic.

I really like the ceramics because they don't chew up rotors like semi metallics do. I've had [censored] scary midgrade ceramics that don't bite at all when cold. Akebono are not in the same category.

I agree SilverFusion. My Akebono Performance street pads were great cold for me as well.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I'm running akebono street performance and they have good cold bite which increases to excellent as they warm up. GG is the highest friction rating a pad can have.

Organic pads are junk, dust like crazy and wear fast. Drum brake liners are usually organic material.

Have you even driven a set of akebono brakes?

You need to do some more reading

Yep, I did use Akebono, on VW CC. However, unlike Ford, VW comes with actual brakes, and Akebono (Euro version) is pure POS compare to OEM VW brakes, not to mention compare to BMW brakes.
I took them off after 2000 miles. Pure POS, that I do not allow on other cars in my garage not to mention on my car.
As for dust, who gives a [censored] about dust? I bought cars because they meet my needs and drive good, not to impress neighbors how my wheels look like.

Last edited:
I have to say SilverFusion that my Akebono Performance street pads were really good to me as well. I was not impressed with the Wagner Thermoquiets which did not last long at all compared to the Akebono. I do think Edyvw is right about the formulation of the Akebono Performance street pads. Edyvw did you run the Akebono pads as well??

I really do like these Duralast GT brake pads to this point. Very good initial bite and seem to be just as good at higher speeds in terms of slowing down power as well. It is obviously very early yet though.

As I said I ran Akebono just to give it a try. $90 I regret to even today since I replaced them after 2000miles.
I do not use Wagner, Duralast and other similar brands. I compare Akebono to ATE, Textar, Pagid, Jurid or EBC. Again, pure POS.
I have on Tiguan now EBC Red Stuff (cermaic/kevlar compound) and Akebono are not even close in performance.

Last edited:
Well hey Edyvw, you can only go by what you experienced by trying them out. I understand that. How much were the EBC red?? Ohh and I am always glad to see ya on here too.

Dlundblad I checked them out and they use carbon fiber as part of their metallurgy mix. I didn't see ceramic mentioned in the listing. That doesn't mean it is not there.. but it is not listed in the site.

Well hey Edyvw, you can only go by what you experienced by trying them out. I understand that. How much were the EBC red?? Ohh and I am always glad to see ya on here too.

EBC Red Stuff for Tiguan are I think $117 for front set.

I paid similar for EBC Yellow - big gain in stopping power - a bit hard on the rotors ...
They are certainly not marketing hype ...

is EBC Red ok to use for a daily drier though? How do they work in cold? I've always been woriied that they might not work well when cold.

Right now, I'm using EBC Ultimax (black, OE replacement pads)

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I paid similar for EBC Yellow - big gain in stopping power - a bit hard on the rotors ...
They are certainly not marketing hype ...

I had Yellow on VW CC after I used Red Stuff, and those pads are super responsive and do not fade. However, they do make a lot of noise.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
is EBC Red ok to use for a daily drier though? How do they work in cold? I've always been woriied that they might not work well when cold.

Right now, I'm using EBC Ultimax (black, OE replacement pads)

They are fine, I have them on Tiguan and had them on VW CC, works great. If you do not mind noise and bit more rotor wear, yellow stuff is really delivering "punch."
I had Yellow Stuff and then decided to try Akebono. It is like having Ferrari brakes and then going to Yugo brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back