Liquimoly vs pennzoil platinum /ultra for sludge ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
More information is needed such as year, make and model of vehicle. If you are looking for oils to clean on short oci, expensive oils like the ones you mention are a drain on the wallet. Go with a cheaper Syn blend or a conventional like PYB or Chevron Supreme for short intervals

Have you seen the sludge and if so, how bad?

Originally Posted By: wantboost
Is liquimoly help with sludge at all or pp is better?

pp or ultra is better for sludge, liquimoly contains mos2 that actually will coat the engine rather than cleaning the sludge

No oil will de-slude an engine. They're all pretty good at preventing sludge in the first place but not cleaning it up.

And just to clarify before anyone jumps out, I mean a very sludgy engine will not become 20,30,40,50% less sludgy with just oil changes using some particular oil of choice.

If anyone disagrees and has any before and after pictures to prove, I'd love to see them.

I honestly don't think a lot of sludge does any harm.

flame away....

If an engine is dirty, then YES- use short OCI's.

One thing I HAVE seen with "sludged" engines is that particles of carbon break off over time and find their way into the oil filter - - - which is why it is there.

But, really - - as long as the engine wasn't severely damaged, it will still last a VERY VERY long time as long as you keep up with oil changes from that point forward. And whatever "sludge" is stuck to the inside will very slowly over time fall away, but don't expect ANY overnight miracles with ANY product.

Expensive oils and sludged engine are not usually in the same conversation.

HDEO and a can of BG109 for 3K changes and it'll be cleaner in a year or so ...
smile.gif

What's pub?

It's where you stop by after work on the way home to grab a cold brewski
laugh.gif

We owned several Toyota sludge prone engines and the insides were pristine even after 150K when using M1 @ 8-10K OCI's back in the day. An engine with thick sludge or blocked passages needs to be cleaned, no amount of oil will unblock small holes. Moderate sludge will dissolve over time with most high quality oils changed frequently.

Originally Posted By: KL31
No oil will de-slude an engine. They're all pretty good at preventing sludge in the first place but not cleaning it up.

And just to clarify before anyone jumps out, I mean a very sludgy engine will not become 20,30,40,50% less sludgy with just oil changes using some particular oil of choice.

If anyone disagrees and has any before and after pictures to prove, I'd love to see them.

+1

We're gonna need more information than that, lmao...

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

pp or ultra is better for sludge, liquimoly contains mos2 that actually will coat the engine rather than cleaning the sludge

He didn't say Liqui Moly MoS2, he just said Liqui Moly, the brand name... of whom make an engine flush:

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2037-Pro-Line-Engine/dp/B00CR3RXTO/

I've never used LM's flush before, so I can't comment on its effectiveness or whether or not it is just glorified kerosene.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Of the three, penzoil platinum. I would run a HDEO for several 2-3k mile intervals. Or PYB does good cleaning in my experience

I agree, an HDEO (such as Rotella or Delo) would be the most effective oil to run without adding any kind of flush or cleaning additive... and PYB would be almost as good. I'd say run whatever's cheaper.

I meant pyb?

PYB = Pennzoil Yellow Bottle. It refers to Pennzoil conventional. It's understandably confusing now that ALL of Pennzoil's bottles have been changed to yellow. I'm a guy who loves to keep things simple, but making all the bottles yellow wasn't a very logical decision on Shell's part.

I meant liquimoly engine oil. My car calls for synthic ..is pyb better at cleaning then pp or pp ultra

Last edited:
I meant liquimoly engine oil. My car calls for synthic ..is pyb better at cleaning then pp or pp ultra

You have yet to clarify the details of what vehicle this is for, what engine it has, how sludged it is, how many miles it has, and if it's your daily or not.

Anyway - if you are intending on running a short OCI for the purpose of cleaning sludge, there is no reason to use synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back