Evidence that Liqui Moly Oil Saver (maybe) works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotal evidence only, but here goes.

My family has a 2009 Cadillac DTS that I bought from my granddad 3 years ago primarily for my 16 year old son to drive. I noticed a small oil leak, and after doing a little research realized that these Northstar engines can leak fairly frequently (among other issues), and that the repair is very expensive ($2000+) because the engine actually has to be removed from the car to change out the necessary gaskets. The car had about 55K miles on it when I bought it.

The leak did not seem too bad so I thought I'd just live with it, but after taking it to the Caddy dealership for its first oil change (M1 5W-30) and some inspections, the leak worsened. I dumped that after about 4000 miles and tried Pennzoil Platinum HM. After a few hundred miles it looked as if the leak was slowing down a bit, but then it stayed consistent through the rest of the OCI, about 5K miles. The next oil change, I tried M1 0W-40 with 1 can of LM Oil Saver. The Caddy has a 7.5 qt sump, and the recommended use of the Oil Saver is one can per 5 qts, so it was diluted somewhat relative to the directions. The leak slowed down to where it was only leaking when the engine was hot/warm, almost none or very little when the engine was at ambient temperature. I let this run out to about 8K or 25% on the OLM. The current fill is 5qts of Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W-30, 2 qts of M1 0W-40 (left over from previous oil change), and 1 can of LM Oil Saver, with a Fram Ultra filter. After a few hundred miles, it does not leak at all when at ambient temperatures. I plan to keep this in for 1 year, which will be less than 10K miles, and replace it with the same thing assuming the leaking issue continues to stay mostly resolved.

Just an FYI really. Feel free to chime in with what you think may be happening.

You changed oils and weights in addition to the additive including one HM oil so its hard to tell what sealed the leak.

I would just run a HM oil form now on keep a lid in the leak.

About a year ago I put a half can of Liqui Moly in my 99 GMC pickup to see if it would help the annoying rear main seal leak (4.3 V6, 150,000 miles).

I've never been a believer in "mouse milk" but son of a gun it's stopped leaking. And I park on concrete so any spots are very noticeable (that was the biggest reason I wanted to fix it, the actual oil loss was trivial). I'm using QSUD 5W30, not a HM oil.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
You changed oils and weights in addition to the additive including one HM oil so its hard to tell what sealed the leak.

I would just run a HM oil form now on keep a lid in the leak.

Agreed. You have way too many variables, imo, to have any assessment that LMMOS helped.

Since you're in Texas, I think Pennzoil HM 10w40 would work really well. JMO

Last edited:
Can never really tell for sure. High mileage oils can work well but it's a patch. Same with additives, they don't fix the problem so much as cure the symptoms.

I had great luck with Maxlife in the past and I've only used one "additive" which was ATP-205. Some people swear by it others say they got nothing out of it. I was more the latter and left it in for a 7.5k mile OCI. Didn't do much for me but until you know the problem (in the sense of a bad gasket or simply a dry one) it's hard to say but with 55k miles I'm a little doubtful it's a dried out gasket. Those tend to take many years and 55k miles is fairly low given it's age.

Some times it work some times it doesn't but do keep in mind these are temporary patches meant to prolong a repair. Also in regards to high mileage oil it can take one or more OCI before you start noticing any benefit.

I stand by my statements that LM Motor Oil Saver can help rejuvenate older seals. It has always worked for me in older (and sometimes newer) German vehicles. Leaving the recommended dosage in for an OCI normally does the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back