Oil for Focus RS - Unusual Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just purchased a fully optioned Focus RS in Stealth Gray, and will be taking delivery in Florida and driving it northern Illinois, then to Ohio, putting about 1700 miles on it in the next few days.

Ford specs 5w-50 with the following note:

"If you are unable to find an engine oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C931-C, it is acceptable to use a motor oil of the recommended viscosity grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark."

I'm not familiar with the spec above and which oils are well regarded in this grade, and want to make sure I'm taking excellent care of this highly stressed motor (2.3l DI Turbo, 350hp).

I will stick to 5w-50 for warranty reasons, so what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Atomic
I have just purchased a fully optioned Focus RS in Stealth Gray, and will be taking delivery in Florida and driving it northern Illinois, then to Ohio, putting about 1700 miles on it in the next few days.

Ford specs 5w-50 with the following note:

"If you are unable to find an engine oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C931-C, it is acceptable to use a motor oil of the recommended viscosity grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark."

I'm not familiar with the spec above and which oils are well regarded in this grade, and want to make sure I'm taking excellent care of this highly stressed motor (2.3l DI Turbo, 350hp).

I will stick to 5w-50 for warranty reasons, so what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Three oils actually meet that spec: Motorcraft 5w50, Lucas 5w-50 and Amsoil 5w50. Your Ford dealer can help with the first one (it's in the Boss 302, GT500 and GT350 engines) and there are other retailers that can help with the other two.

"Three oils actually meet that spec: Motorcraft 5w50, Lucas 5w-50 and Amsoil 5w50."
Does the Lucas oil meet SN spec as well as have the API certification mark? I visited the Lucas site and a few others and have trouble verifying those two must haves. Of course at my age I could have missed it..

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

"Three oils actually meet that spec: Motorcraft 5w50, Lucas 5w-50 and Amsoil 5w50."
Does the Lucas oil meet SN spec as well as have the API certification mark? I visited the Lucas site and a few others and have trouble verifying those two must haves. Of course at my age I could have missed it..

No, you're correct. I checked the EOLCS and Lucas 5w50 is licensed at API SM. But that doesn't stop it from meeting the Ford WSS-M2C931-C spec. In any case, the Lucas bottle says it meets 931-C, and that's the best info we have. The same is true of Amsoil 5w50 - according to EOLCS, it's not API licensed at all, but according to Amsoil (the factory, not the resellers) it meets the Ford spec.

Castrol and Mobil 1 don't meet the Ford spec because they have too much phosphorus - 931C limits it to 800PPM and they have about 1,000. Lucas, M'craft and Amsoil are all less than 800 PPM.

I'll take Castrol or M1, they might not meet that phosphorus limit but they won't underperform. Ford is trading some protection for a reduction in catalytic converter poisoning

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
https://mobiloil.com/en/viscosity/5w-50

I put this car into the oil finder on the Mobil website, and got this response:
"Based on what you've told us, your vehicle manufacturer recommends a 5W-50 viscosity and oil that meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. The recommended oil filter is M1-102/M1-102A."

No 0w20 fans?
27.gif

Actually, there is a Castrol Edge product that meets 931-C: It's Castrol Edge Supercar 5w50. Newly released product co-marketed with Ford. It's factory fill in the new Ford GT super car.

Originally Posted By: jaj
Actually, there is a Castrol Edge product that meets 931-C: It's Castrol Edge Supercar 5w50. Newly released product co-marketed with Ford. It's factory fill in the new Ford GT super car.

I still haven't been able to find it here in the states. I think you can buy it on eBay, though. But it will cost you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back