08 Dodge Cailber R/T 2.4 Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
A family member of mine has a 08 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD with the 2.4 non turbo. It's consuming a quart about every 1,000 miles with no leaks for smoke. Me and the dealer are both thinking it may have stuck oil rings causing it. Do any of you might know what could be causing it ?

I haven't run into that yet, I would check/replace the PCV valve if it has one. We really don't do very many repairs on 2.4s.

That's a lot.
My experience is 1 quart every 5k in both a company ride and a family members car.
Company ride had 90k on it, sis car had 156k.
Try a quart of MMO about 500 miles before your next oil change.
Maxlife may help as well, I like the 10w30. In Tennessee, you should be fine with the 10w.

Just changed the oil yesterday with maxlife 5w30 and a supertech 10086 filter. (Walmart doesn't have much of a filter selection lately).

if needed piston soak is a good step, just not with SeaFoam. Berryman's B-12 liquid ($3.23 at WM)and MMO in the crankcase IMO is a better approach
Steve

150,000. It's been using oil since around 40,000. And this one does not have a pcv valve. It has a rubber hose that runs from the valve cover to the air filter box.

Originally Posted By: steve20
if needed piston soak is a good step, just not with SeaFoam. Berryman's B-12 liquid ($3.23 at WM) and MMO in the crankcase IMO is a better approach
Steve

THIS.

Originally Posted By: Justin94
A family member of mine has a 08 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD with the 2.4 non turbo. It's consuming a quart about every 1,000 miles with no leaks for smoke. Me and the dealer are both thinking it may have stuck oil rings causing it. Do any of you might know what could be causing it ?

PCV malf is at the top of my list. Many of our fleet trucks use fixed orifice (no valves), very subject to clogging at high miles. Clear that first.

Then it's Kreen for a thorough cleaning....

Last edited:
How long should I run the Kreen ? And I only get to service the vehicle 3-4 times a year.

We have used the stuff for years now in almost every type of car you could imagine. It works very quickly, and I typically run it for at least 500 miles or so.

Amazing results, go to Kano Labs...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Definitely try a new PCV valve first.
Then, try:

Blowing the solvent out the plugs, and then using the turkey baster seemed pointless.
crazy.gif

If anything, do that operation in reverse.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

PCV malf is at the top of my list. Many of our fleet trucks use fixed orifice (no valves), very subject to clogging at high miles. Clear that first.

Then it's Kreen for a thorough cleaning....

What's your process for using the Kreen?

Kreen is simple. 16 oz in the oil and 16 oz in the fuel. Drive it for around 500 miles or so, then change the oil.

It's very volatile and evaporates quickly so it also cleans your PCV setup as well. Money back warranty with no baloney. Been made since the 50's or 60's.

The oil only gets changed 3-4 times a year due to the owner not knowing anything about maintenance. I usually have to track them down to change the oil. When I changed it the other day it has 1.5 quarts low and it was topped off two weeks prior.

I have a Dart in the shop now that came in with a complaint of the engine shutting off. I found that it was 3.5qt low on oil. I found that the 2.4 Multiair does have a pcv valve in the end of the valve cover next to the throttle body. The valve on this car looked to be ok, but I don't like the hose setup. The hose runs down hill to the intake manifold so any oil that gets through the valve is assisted by gravity in getting to the intake. The vacuum pump can also be a source of oil consumption, some of the Darts had a recall to install a new line from the vacuum pump to the brake booster. The brake boosters were getting contaminated with oil. The recall did not apply to this car, the line from the pump Teed off to the intake manifold which could also cause increased oil consumption if oil is getting through the pump. The other issue with the vacuum pumps are air leaks, our service information states that vacuum leaks can cause the pump to pressurize the crankcase.

I want to say that the service info also stated that oil consumption of up to 1qt per 1000 miles was acceptable for an engine with 50,000+ miles. If I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back