Ecogard X4610 $1.86 Sale Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we had the Ecogard drama from several weeks back I figured I'd better cut one I have, I bought a few dozen flavors
when they were on sale. Of course we had the big thread on rust etc. This prompted me to ruin a perfectly good filter.
This is what I received from the suspect $1.86 brew and I did not wipe it down or anything. I just cut it now.
My application is a vertical one and I think this looks very nice indeed.

Looks good to me. On the bright side you're not out a lot of money to see inside this one. I cut one of each type of clearance oil filter that I obtained from Rock Auto including a few Wix and Baldwin made filters as well as a Fleetguard just to see what they were all about. For the minimal cost involved it was piece of mind for me.

Agreed- that is why I did it as well. I fully expected to see the can rusted as I assumed the sale price was due to QC issues possibly. This is a nice filter. I guess I need to cut one of the 3614 clones too.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Looks good to me. On the bright side you're not out a lot of money to see inside this one. I cut one of each type of clearance oil filter that I obtained from Rock Auto including a few Wix and Baldwin made filters as well as a Fleetguard just to see what they were all about. For the minimal cost involved it was piece of mind for me.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I guess I need to cut one of the 3614 clones too.

I think there is already one on here somewhere.....

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yep there is
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex

There are several from the rust series. The x241 I believe. I didn't have rust here so I'd like to see if other models do.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
The $1.86 price is on Amazon Prime for this filter. Is that where you bought it?

Yes- I think they are near $5 for this model# but some are still $1.86

Originally Posted By: blupupher
What is the date code on top?

I was surprised by the rusty one I cut, but have another one (different date code) that I am about to put on my truck.

11/22/16 is the code on all the X4610 that I received when I did the first post on how outside they looked great.
From Amazon.......

OK, my 9/19/16 made one is the one that had all the rust.
The synthetic one I cut open had a few spots of rust, but was also made in 2013.

I have decided that these are a decent filter overall and will use them in the future if needed (and still at the cheap price, i.e. < $2 for the regular filters and < $5 for their synthetic).
Problem is it seems other filters (Bosch D+ and Fram TG for example) go on clearance for really cheap. I am forcing myself to no buy all the $3 TG2 (8 last time I checked) and TG3600 (10+ in store) at my local Walmart. If they drop to less than $2, well, can't say what I will do.
Also, since I have to order these from Amazon/Walmart.com/Rock Auto, I can't use them on the vehicles that I may change oil on very rarely and don't have a stash of.

I really am not pumped on much these days and I'm not much for experimenting anymore.
I was attracted to these to see what they were inside and the cheap price allowed me to cut up several.
Sure I'd use them but I pretty much went to the Fram Ultra and my MG filters when they are done will not be renewed.
I'm not a fan of MG's business practices. They ignore you if you ask one pertinent question.

I still have a bunch of filters to burn up but in the end I'm getting tired
smile.gif
and will just go with the tried and true Ultras.
I didn't want to use any of the Ecogards without knowing if they were well rusted.

Same with my oil stashes- enough is enough. You get to a point where you wonder what the heck am I doing
smile.gif

I bought some of these EcoGuard filters a month or so at Rural King and the $1.86 was the regular price. They're vac- sealed and look good from the outside, but I haven't had to use one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back