Best oil drain plug gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 F150 5.4L
Bought a bag of 25 aluminum washers from Amazon or eBay.
Supposedly for oil drain plugs. I don't use the OEM drain plug anymore as I changed to a magnetic one.

Instead of torquing the daylights out of this already snug plug, I'm thinking of dumping this 1500 mile OCI (Penzoil copper bottle) and change the drain plug basket since it is dripping on my driveway.

I think the OEM was plastic???

Yeah, plastic or nylon gasket on the drain plug is a bad idea. Aluminum or copper is the best way to go.
thumbsup2.gif

Have never had one leak but the plastic ones I have used on our scion come out looking warped and funky.

I started using the metal ones with the rubber coating and they have been fine.

I have had the best luck with Dorman metal rubber oil washers unlike many other types these never leak or drip and you can use them over and over several times if you want. I use them for about 3 consecutive oil changes.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
2001 F150 5.4L
Supposedly for oil drain plugs. I don't use the OEM drain plug anymore as I changed to a magnetic one.

Instead of torquing the daylights out of this already snug plug, I'm thinking of dumping this 1500 mile OCI (Penzoil copper bottle) and change the drain plug basket since it is dripping on my driveway.

OEM should have had a rubber seal. F75Z-6730-BA is the p/n for the drain plug.

The aluminum crush washers should work fine.

I like to put a little light grease or oil on them, to help them seal.

I've had cars with steel, aluminum, and plastic-coated aluminum washers. None of them leaked or otherwise needed replacement, so far. After a numerous oil changes, the plain aluminum one became noticeably thinner and retained itself in place on the plug---which was no problem.

They'll last longer and leak less if you don't flip them over, in other words always keep the same side against the pan.

I honestly have had the best success with nylon washers. I'm talking over 35 years of success. I use the same one over and over until I see cracks. They've lasted me at least ten years apiece.

Heh heh I bought a couple spare copper washers for the BMWs 15yrs ago. I stapled them in their baggy to my parts wall. They are still there. All you have to do with a copper washer, is to anneal it when it gets work hardened

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
2001 F150 5.4L

OEM should have had a rubber seal. F75Z-6730-BA is the p/n for the drain plug.

I just found it. it has the rubber drain plug. should it also have a plastic or Al gasket? I swear it did.

The atf drain was dripping real real slow so i unscrewed it a tad and wrapped teflon tape near the head and tightened it a bit. Slow drip gone. Did not have to drain or replace any fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
The atf drain was dripping real real slow so i unscrewed it a tad and wrapped teflon tape near the head and tightened it a bit. Slow drip gone. Did not have to drain or replace any fluids.

+1 Good fix!

The OEM material is best - nylon works in a pinch if that's all the parts store has.

Once, I used RTV to seal a Toyota ATF drain plug after the threads started getting screwy and the crush washer was toast. It worked as a stop-gap until I got a new pan installed.

I want to invent a crush washer made of a really hard metal like tungsten. It would go great with blinker fluid, piston return springs and 4-stroke fuel oil mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back