Just How Strong is the CP717 Hammer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am doing some suspension work on a Freightliner truck and was not able to free up the saddle shown in the picture from the 2 U bolts that pass through it. I was able to undo the nuts with a 6 ft cheater pipe on a 1 in breaker bar. Club hammer did not help freeing up the saddle and there is no room to swing a sledge hammer. Truck is a 2004, so the assembly has remained undisturbed for 13 years and road salt has done its work.

I keep reading that the CP717 is awesome, with tremendous power. I don't own one but might buy one. Would it be able to free up this assembly? I would like to avoid cutting the U bolts if possible. For reference, the U bolts are 3/4 in dia.

Have you tried heating it up a little? Just throwing this out there, but could you put the nuts back on at the end just to protect the threads, then use a floor jack to push the U-Bolts upwards? Sorry, never used an air hammer. Good luck though!

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Have you tried heating it up a little? Just throwing this out there, but could you put the nuts back on at the end just to protect the threads, then use a floor jack to push the U-Bolts upwards? Sorry, never used an air hammer. Good luck though!

"just a little"....how about just a lot...lol

Holy smokes! I didn't know "Big Nasty" was that expensive.
shocked2.gif

What the ef is Amazon doing, when I posted this it was $325 now a few people looked at it its over $400. Friggin swindlers.
Google Astro 4980 and go to the amazon page, the 717 is right above it for $325.

When I click your link it shows $325 but if you look at the other sellers box their is another one listed as sold by amazon for $418.

Pull the nuts off and go over a speed bump or two?

Soak it several times with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight. It's somewhat acidic so it dissolves the rust in addition to the penetrating oil action.

If that doesn't work, I'd try a bottle jack with a block of wood to press it out.

Torch it. Using a $45.00 (not sure what CAD prices would be) MAP/PRO blowtorch like the TS8000 from Home Depot would heat the nut up red if you left it on for a minute or so. I do it all the time. Then it breaks loose easily and squeals the whole way. I've taken off fasteners far worse than those with the TS8000 and I live in NY which is salted too.

Fasteners like these:
GtHYqVF.jpg

Another plus of this is that it often preserves the fastener, it's non-destructive. The one in this picture came out re-usable, minus the threads that were missing past the nut (although I just replaced it because it was so cheap to do so).

He already got the nuts loose. This is a class 8 truck, a plumbing torch isn't doing anything for that saddle. Big truck big tools and powerful air tools. A Mapp gas torch is no substitute for a proper oxy acetylene torch in any way. It is a better alternative to a propane torch for soldering copper pipe especially the larger diameter ones but it has no business under a car or truck.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Pull the nuts off and go over a speed bump or two?

Soak it several times with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight.

Did you notice it is an underslung suspension? If the nuts are taken off and the saddle came loose, the entire truck would come down on to the bump stop. Leaving the nuts loose but in place would probably have done the job.

I got the saddle loose by using a jack under the U-bolts and forcing up the U-bolts, as has been suggested. Mission accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back