Mobil Delvac 5W-40 and Ford Spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

All this Ford Spec talk has me thinking. I have 2 more oil changes with Mobil Delvac 5w-40 CJ-4. Ford has not listed them meeting the new spec. I called Mobil Delvac and the person reluctantly told me they would expect Zinc levels at around 1,300 and Phosphorus levels around 1,100. I obviously purchased this oil before the Ford drama emerged. The UOAs I have posted seem to look good. Should I be worried and run something more specifically green lighted by Ford (CK-4 or CJ-4). Appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Delvac 1 ESP CJ-4 that I have tested has 1,104PPM phosphorus and so I would not be worried in the slightest about using it (I have a substantial stash of it myself). Now, when you run out and cannot find another 5W-40 CJ-4 oil, that may be a different matter.

Glad to hear that 2015_PSD. I remember you also have some. Appreciate the post.

I'm moving on from HDEO once the 5-1gal stash is thru the powersport engines...take a look around then.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'm moving on from HDEO once the 5-1gal stash is thru the powersport engines...take a look around then.

Why?

You don't have a Ford Powerstroke in your Sig.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
There's always Schaeffer and Amsoil...

There's always Cummins and Duramax, too.
wink.gif
Ford brings in Navistar, they have a panic about foaming. Twenty years later, they have a panic about phosphorus after Navistar is gone.

Cummins in Canada offers a lifetime engine warranty from time to time, and have been giving them as "free" engine upgrades as well. Ford won't let people buy ordinary off the shelf HDEO without checking some list for a spec that oil companies don't seem particularly interested in. I thought that M1 0w-40 and the LL-01 thing and the bit about Mobil 1 lacking the Chrysler spec were dumb, but this takes the cake.

When you look at the list of builder approvals on products like Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 CK-4 and Rotella T6 5w-40 CK-4, what you really see is that only one manufacturer in the world has an issue. Mobil has shown zero interest except for their most basic fleet product, and Shell has only done so for its lower tiered products. The same applies with respect to Castrol. This clearly isn't a priority to anyone except Ford.

Petro-Canada has a wide selection on the list, but they very well may be the service fill in Canada.

Yeah I understand you.... Just hard to do something against the manufacturer and what they recommend... Granted I have a 6.0, but still has me weary

Originally Posted By: Garak
When you look at the list of builder approvals on products like Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 CK-4 and Rotella T6 5w-40 CK-4, what you really see is that only one manufacturer in the world has an issue. Mobil has shown zero interest except for their most basic fleet product, and Shell has only done so for its lower tiered products. The same applies with respect to Castrol. This clearly isn't a priority to anyone except Ford.

Yes, obviously API doesn't care. This was made very clear when Ford repeatedly told API during the CK4 approval process that some CK4s were failing it's tests regarding valve train wear. Ford asked API to break up CK4 into low P and high P categories, since some low phosphorous (P) oils were failing. API told Ford to pound sand, and didn't care one bit.

Pretty easy to understand why Ford isn't recognizing CK4, or its alleged backwards compatibility which is of course based on only a select group of tests picked by API.

Last edited:
What I would do if I had a 6.7 (which I don't) is use my favorite CJ4 oil and add no more than 1/2 bottle (4 oz) of Redline Break-In additive, which consists of 20500ppm Zn and 17000 ppm P in the form of mainly secondary ZDDPs, and 20500 ppm Ca in the form of detergent, not sure if it is sulfonate, phenate or salicylate. In a 12qt oil pain that would increase Zn by about 350-400ppm and P slightly less.
Secondary ZDDP molecules are more reactive and get "used up" quicker than primary ZDDPs; I wouldn't worry about that much since most 6.7 owners use extremely short 5-7.5Kmi OCIs.

Charlie

Last edited:
Thankfully I don't need an excuse not to buy a Ford. According to Hank (King of the Hill) Hill, Ford stands for "Fix it again Tony".
In my unabashed dictionary, "*****" is short for Ford & ugly.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
What I would do if I had a 6.7 (which I don't) is use my favorite CJ4 oil and add no more than 1/2 bottle (4 oz) of Redline Break-In additive, which consists of 20500ppm Zn and 17000 ppm P in the form of mainly secondary ZDDPs, and 20500 ppm Ca in the form of detergent, not sure if it is sulfonate, phenate or salicylate. In a 12qt oil pain that would increase Zn by about 350-400ppm and P slightly less.
Secondary ZDDP molecules are more reactive and get "used up" quicker than primary ZDDPs; I wouldn't worry about that much since most 6.7 owners use extremely short 5-7.5Kmi OCIs.

Charlie

Actually 1/2 bottle is 8 oz

Charlie

Actually 1/2 bottle is 8 oz

Similar thought
bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4403418/3

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Thankfully I don't need an excuse not to buy a Ford. According to Hank (King of the Hill) Hill, Ford stands for "Fix it again Tony".
I think you are looking for "Fix Or Repair Daily" or perhaps "Freaking Old Rebuilt Dodge" or even "Found On Road Dead".

But, for most Ford owners it is First On Race Day.
11.gif

Please don't post your decal of the little guy as he releases pressure on a Chevy - and no pictures of the HD pair below trailer hitch - this is PG-13 site
10.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Please don't post your decal of the little guy as he releases pressure on a Chevy - and no pictures of the HD pair below trailer hitch - this is PG-13 site
10.gif

Huh? I have no such decals or pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back