Sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I've been wondering about if there's guys on here that run 10,000 12000 maybe even fifteen thousand miles oci, mother folks of run 20 and 30000 mile filter swaps, mother's swapping filters every other oil change...... you see the valve covers removed the engines aren't blowing up so engines that are extremely sludged up full of black cake low oil pressure light and oil pans so full of sludge you might as well replace the pan what is there oci?

No oci at all...........
I knew several that disparaged their cars and then revealed how the maker screwed them over.
Example- My Hyundai burns oil and is a piece of junk. Seven years old and never changed the oil or filter
He adds oil only....... The cheaper the car the worst the owners are on maintenance.. IMO

Originally Posted By: NStuart
Something I've been wondering about if there's guys on here that run 10,000 12000 maybe even fifteen thousand miles oci, mother folks of run 20 and 30000 mile filter swaps, mother's swapping filters every other oil change...... you see the valve covers removed the engines aren't blowing up so engines that are extremely sludged up full of black cake low oil pressure light and oil pans so full of sludge you might as well replace the pan what is there oci?

English translation anyone?

Is this a wondering generality philosophical discussion that never goes nowhere? or this pertain to a certain car?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

If extended drains work so well, what kind of neglect does it take to create lots of sludge? I think.

If someone ran a Fram Ultra at 30k and PP or M1 at 10k, they would be fine in most any car. I run 10k oci and 20k on the FU filter, and all is clean.

There's been a few linked here of engines that were used in excess of 60K with NO oil nor filter change, causing complete sludging-but I don't think any BITOG member would ever treat an engine that way-that's not our style! More likely to change oil compulsively, we're pretty OCD here.

Sludge has a few factors that really get it going. Cheap dino oil with high'ish paraffin content. Big temperature differences on sheet metal like valve covers that can condense vapors. Fuel dilution that will help liberate vapors. Cool or cold engines.

That's why many MFGs went to die cast aluminum valve covers, plastic motor covers (the things that drive us crazy), and under engine aero shields. Yeah, they help with slippery and CAFE, but they also retain engine heat.

High quality oils and higher operating temps seem to have made a lot of sludge a thing of teh past
smile.gif

My Accord has the oil changed every 9-10k miles and the filter every 18-20k miles. No problems here bro.

In fact, once I get my hands on this RLI oil (very soon btw), I'll be looking at 15k mile OCI's and possibly getting 30k miles out of an oil filter.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

My bad I don't text I use voice typing I forgot to edit before hitting send

No question was based on the fact that everybody here says go longer without changing, and when I used to be a shop manager I've seen oil drain plugs removed and nothing come out or oil pans removed and a mechanic dropped it because it was so heavy

I offered to check an old lady's oil level when I heard her engine clacking horribly.

I pulled the dipstick. Only 4 or so inches of dipstick came out with the handle. It was rusted in place.

I shoved the bit back in and told her she was good to go.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
The cheaper the car the worst the owners are on maintenance.. IMO
not here. the more expensive the car the less they want to spend.

I've seen that too.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
The cheaper the car the worst the owners are on maintenance.. IMO
not here. the more expensive the car the less they want to spend.
Hereabouts the tip off is "fine" German vehicles with cheap whitewalls mounted with the whitewall facing in. Usually just before lease turn in time.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
If someone ran a Fram Ultra at 30k and PP or M1 at 10k, they would be fine in most any car. I run 10k oci and 20k on the FU filter, and all is clean.

Agreed.

I did this with a Motorcraft FL-1A for 30,000 and 3x OCI's of 15W-40 "Cenex/Land-O'-Lakes" HDEO in a Ford 400M V8

Okay then, why do you have no punctuation? Note: I have composed this entire comment using my talk to text functionality.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Okay then, why do you have no punctuation? Note: I have composed this entire comment using my talk to text functionality.

Maybe my phone sucks, any other questions troll?

This forum is Science and Technology of Oils and Lubricant Additive so it has no relevance to your post.

Recommend you ask the MOD(S) to move this to:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/Passenger_Car_Motor_Oil_(PCMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back