Oil recomendations for '16 Ford 6.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the apparent recent Ford spec WSS-M2C171-F1 and warnings against any CK-4 oils, it seems I can no longer use the Mobil1 5W40TD that I used to use in my 6.4. I did use some old stock CJ-4 M1 I had for the last change, but I need to find something suitable for the next change.

The list of approved oils on the Motorcraft site ( Motorcraft ) has a lot of obscure brands it seems and a quite small section for 5W40 which is what I'd want for my hot and dusty area here in TX.

Thoughts?

Hi PeterC. I am in the same boat as you once my supply of Delvac 5w-40 CJ-4 is gone. The list is a little confusing to me...I am assuming the oils that don't have CK-4 after the brand name, they are referring to CJ-4 on the approved list. I am thinking about ordering some Schaeffers CJ-4 to buy myself some time to allow more things to develop in the CK-4 world. Hopefully some others will chime in. You are not alone.

Guy at work is on his 4th PSD and was a long time user of M1 TDT - he got sick of the Ford ??? - went to Delvac 1 in his 2017 - I really wish the OEM's did not sell oil - only spec to some reasonable degree ...

Ford said CJ4/Sm is good to go.
Avoid CK4 with SN ratings.
Generally CK4 without SN should be fine, I suppose.

Ford is taking the position not to recommend any CK-4 oils, unless it also meets their specs. This is a huge and broad brush to paint against the CK-4 oils, especially when considering that Ford tested the oils, and found "SOME" CK-4 oil provided "inadequate" wear protection. Not most, not all, but, "some".
So, Ford says we are not going to recommend CK-4 oils, unless it meets our specs, or is a CJ-4 formula before 2016.
Their own oil says on the label that it has over 1000 ppms of phosphorous for wear protection.
This is where it gets a little confusing.
If you choose a CK-4 diesel with over 1000 ppm of phosphorous, wouldn't you be okay? Even if it didn't meet Ford's spec WSS-M2C171-F1?

According to Mobil's Product Guide, the TDT 5W-40 has 1100 ppm phosphorous, and 1300 ppm zinc.

Rotella and Valvoline Premium Blue have kept the higher zinc and phosphorous levels, wouldn't these be acceptable to use?

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super and Chevron Delo have the lowered zinc and phosphorous levels, so, Ford might not want you to use these oils in their engines.

Thanks for the info njohnson. Where does Ford say CJ-4 oils prior to 2016. I have been running Mobil Delvac 5w-40 (I believe 2015 or 2016 oil) and saw reduced Zinc and Phosphorus compared to my prior UOA on Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40. See below:

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 - Zinc = 1,340; Phosphorus = 1,065
Mobil Delvac 5w-40 - Zinc = 977; Phosphorus = 878

Per Blackstone oil analysis (posted here).

Wonder if I should stop using Delvac. Very confusing time.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
If you choose a CK-4 diesel with over 1000 ppm of phosphorous, wouldn't you be okay? Even if it didn't meet Ford's spec WSS-M2C171-F1?

According to Mobil's Product Guide, the TDT 5W-40 has 1100 ppm phosphorous, and 1300 ppm zinc.

Rotella and Valvoline Premium Blue have kept the higher zinc and phosphorous levels, wouldn't these be acceptable to use?

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super and Chevron Delo have the lowered zinc and phosphorous levels, so, Ford might not want you to use these oils in their engines.

Agree with all this. Good points. Seems like for 5w40 motorcraft, mystik, and amsoil signature also ok.

The oil finder app on the Mobil1 site claims they do not sell a motor oil in the US at this time that meets the new Ford spec. The Shell Rotella T5 15W40 looks the most promising and is on the approved list, though I would prefer a 5W40.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Thanks for the info njohnson. Where does Ford say CJ-4 oils prior to 2016. I have been running Mobil Delvac 5w-40 (I believe 2015 or 2016 oil) and saw reduced Zinc and Phosphorus compared to my prior UOA on Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40. See below:

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 - Zinc = 1,340; Phosphorus = 1,065
Mobil Delvac 5w-40 - Zinc = 977; Phosphorus = 878

Per Blackstone oil analysis (posted here).

Wonder if I should stop using Delvac. Very confusing time.

The OP included the link to Ford's Motorcraft website. On the website, where it says Ford Motor Company's Position Statement, that is where I saw it. In the Position Statement, Ford is saying diesel oil displaying the CJ-4 in the doughnut is most likely an older CJ-4 formula, developed and licensed before 2016, and is okay to use.
Ford said the older CJ-4 formulas when testing them provided the necessary protection for Ford engines.

Last edited:
Some other placed I've read had some rumor / info that CJ-4 labeled oil of more recent vintage i.e. later 2016 might well be CK-4 formulations in remaining CJ-4 packages. If true that is yet another reason for concern

Originally Posted By: zeng
Ford said CJ4/Sm is good to go.
Avoid CK4 with SN ratings.
Generally CK4 without SN should be fine, I suppose.

Unfortunately, Ford would disagree with you.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Hi PeterC. I am in the same boat as you once my supply of Delvac 5w-40 CJ-4 is gone. The list is a little confusing to me...I am assuming the oils that don't have CK-4 after the brand name, they are referring to CJ-4 on the approved list. I am thinking about ordering some Schaeffers CJ-4 to buy myself some time to allow more things to develop in the CK-4 world. Hopefully some others will chime in. You are not alone.

The approved list only contains CK-4 oils. It does not individually name CJ-4 products because all CJ-4 are considered approved.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Does anyone have any links to a delo cj-4 5w40 uoa?

There are 2 I think.

"LE" has high values and is good and SDE has low numbers.
Sorry but it is late.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Unfortunately, Ford would disagree with you.

Ford is also talking out of both sides of their mouths on this issue. They have no problem with the API regime when it suits them. Now, they somehow missed the boat with CK-4, and they have the gall to say that backwards compatibility isn't applicable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back