The Glen Afton Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bushtramwayclub.com/index.html

I wondered why the timber jack was on the front of this White, found out on the website, they jack the front up and move the front bogy back to turn it around on the tracks. My eldest daughter's birthday, they get to choose the menu and an activity. She's a complete retrohead, totally absorbed in this stuff. That's her in the checked shirt, going for a look inside the workshop.

A&G Price closed their doors 3 weeks ago - a huge engineering presence in New Zealand from a very small town. A sad loss of heritage.

Carriages made in New Zealand by New Zealand Railway Workshops - NZR.

Usually there is some classic car group making a day of it here too. Today it was a Jaguar club. A 1956 XK140, left hand drive so an import from somewhere.

The line at Pukemiro Junction is not a bush railway, it's part of a rail line cut off by removing the town of Rotowaro to make an open cast mine. The coal train still goes from Huntly to Rotowaro for coal, but the 2 next coal towns Glen Afton and Pukemiro (acutally so close together they are almost one town) were cut off. They use what remains for the bush railroad. They don't run in the height of summer, Jan,Feb and March because of the fire risk.

Health & Safety were missing - Common Sense was in use instead. People wandering at will everywhere, in and out of the workshops, all over the locos and carriages, walking on the lines. No one was hurt, no kids fell out on the tracks, no bossy people in hi viz, just a great day out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Grew up in a railroad town so always curious to see what's out there. Like Jags too.

I guess that steam engine would be a 0-6-0 arrangement? Any time spent with railroading is time well spent. I hear UPRR to through four or five times and hour and never tire of men at work on the transcontinental.The Overland Route.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back