Did I miss anything interesting this last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
was there any particular drama here on the board i should read?

I’ve been largely away from the interwebs for the last week. Drove my buddy down to Ft.Still(Lawton, OK) for his little brother’s graduation from basic training. (each way is 11-1200 mi, broken into 2 days, their whole family went, Mom & her GF Flew in from AK, Dad and Sister flew in from Cleveland, and we drove cross country, which of course took longer, but was cheaper/more fun..)

Our hotel in Lawton was a joke, clean, but a joke.(Motel 6, what should i expect for $53/night?) no Coffee maker,(went to dollar general and bought one for $12.50, had i known i would have brought my kureig…) didn’t notice until i got there that Wifi was a paid extra($5/night), go back up to the desk to ask about adding it, “oh, the wifi’s been broken for a month”… the worlds loudest air conditioner, that seemed to have 2 settings, meat locker, and off.

but otherwise it was clean, freshly renovated, and no sign of bugs, bed or otherwise.

it is amazing how much the kid has changed over the past 9 weeks…(he’s 22, this is the first time he’s graduated from anything, though he did get his GED) He Seriously needed the structure and discipline the army has given him.

now he’s on to 5 weeks of AIT, also there at Ft.Sill. Hopefully, barring any "trips" to Korea/Afghanistan/Syria, he’ll serve his full 3 year contract there at Ft.Sill.(He’s Artillery, and Sill is the Artillery headquarters.)

Last edited:
Made that same trip in 92 when my son graduated from basic. IMO you did not miss any board drama.

Motel 6, yeah you cant expect much for 53$ a night. Stayed at a quality inn for 85$ USD and it also wasnt great.

Interesting that you chose to buy a coffee maker and travel with it instead of a 99 cent cup of joe from Mcdonalds.

Recommend the tripadvisor app to find lodging reviews before you buy next time as well.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Interesting that you chose to buy a coffee maker and travel with it instead of a 99 cent cup of joe from Mcdonalds.

Recommend the tripadvisor app to find lodging reviews before you buy next time as well.

I do use trip advisor, just didn't look to see if there would be a coffee maker, b/c even in most of the other cheap blank-box hotels i've stayed at there's always been a coffee maker(and coffee, sugar, cups, etc)..

no mcd's, etc close by, and the first morning we "had" to be to the base visitors center at 5am to get our passes. not much in Lawton is open that early...
we had gone there(Visitor Control Center) weds night as soon as we had checked in to the hotel, and there was a 2 hour line. at 9 pm, they abruptly told everyone who had been waiting (us included) that they were closing for the night, and we should come back @5am...which we did, and sailed right through in about 20 minutes. by the time the rest of the family got there around 8 am, they had a 45 min - 1 Hour wait.

because of their "late" arrival(they stayed with an old family friend who now lives in Norman, 1.5 hr drive away) we ended up missing the family day ceremony/presentation, and got there just as they were releasing the soldiers for the afternoon with their families...

some of us need our coffee FIRST thing in the morning...esp after driving for 2 days and getting about 4 hours sleep to get up and make it to the VCC bright and early.

i wasn't planning on traveling with it. I was willing to just leave it there. it's a $12 coffee maker. my buddy couldn't leave it behind,brought it back, and is now storing it in his basement.

as i said,(at least i think i did), if i had known there was no coffee maker in the room before leaving home, i would have just grabbed the Kureig i'm not currently using that is sitting on a shelf in MY basement, and taken it with...

but such is life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
some of us need our coffee FIRST thing in the morning

AMEN to that one!!
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back