Purolator PL22500 Postmortem @ 5,802 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached for review is a Pruolator One PL22500. This ran for 5,802 miles filtering Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 on a 2017 Ford Explorer. Total mileage on the car is about 10,500 miles.

I replaced the filter with a NAPA Gold 7502, same oil.

This is a newer production run with the louvers. the filter media looked bad to me. No tears, but the pleat spacing near the seam is awful and the pleat to the left of the seam in the picture was noticeably pushed in compared to the others. It makes me wonder if a tear was possible in the near future. Other than that the filter did its job and I didn't see any sludge or anything really in the filter media.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. So now u have 500s filter ?
Keep us posted. Lots of debate over 500s 820s and purolators.

Thanks for the pics. I was considering one of these for my next oil change but I believe I'll stay with a Napa Gold.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Thanks for the post. So now u have 500s filter ?
Keep us posted. Lots of debate over 500s 820s and purolators.

I have some, but I used a NAPA Gold 7502.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb4017
Thanks for the pics. I was considering one of these for my next oil change but I believe I'll stay with a Napa Gold.

I've got 2 left, and they'll have inches of dust before I put one on. I may cut one or both open to get a "before" look.

Time and time again we see pictures like this and still I wonder what the Purolator people are thinking.
Thanks!

Ugly pleats that don't tear still filter...We've had a few Puros and MCs posted here recently that were pretty ugly and still didn't tear. Not saying everything is cured, but it is good to see some that didn't fail.

Originally Posted By: Onug
Ugly pleats that don't tear still filter...We've had a few Puros and MCs posted here recently that were pretty ugly and still didn't tear. Not saying everything is cured, but it is good to see some that didn't fail.

I just don't understand how a $2 Chinese made Prime Guard oil filter has perfectly even pleat spacing while an American made Purolator has such wide uneven pleats at the seam....this seems to be the cause of the tearing.
Are they trying to save two cents worth of filter paper?

Originally Posted By: JCasto
Attached for review is a Pruolator One PL22500. This ran for 5,802 miles filtering Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 on a 2017 Ford Explorer. Total mileage on the car is about 10,500 miles.

I'm curious why you're not using MC filters while still under warranty. Yeah, I know the MC are made by Purolator. But this is a trouble free 910S, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back