Judging oil condition based on appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we know you cannot tell all you need to know on engine oil condition based on appearance. Even if it may be darker, but that doesn't necessarily mean the oil needs to be changed, however can we assume if the oil looks clean and has a light color to it that it is likely ok?

I suppose you could have moisture in the oil from short tripping or such, but if it looks clean, cant we assume it still has service life left?

So generally you do a blotter test on a white paper towel. If it does not leave a discolored ring, it is a preliminary indicator that things are OK. The only real way to tell is to do a UOA ...

But, if you know the vehicle and there are no issues, no CEL's and the coolant is staying where it needs to be, you can assume that light colored oil is OK for the foreseeable ... It may have deleted TBN and still look good. But that would usually be over a year or two and over many thousands of miles of use ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It may have deleted TBN and still look good

But it will smell sour, though...

Chances are if the oil "looks good" it is actually in EXCELLENT condition.

I have seen oil that looks awful come back from the sample lab saying that it's still not bad.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
So generally you do a blotter test on a white paper towel.

The blotter tests I read about online say to use card stock... I'd like to try plain printing paper

Any white absorbent surface that has a fairly neutral pH
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back