American XT oil at Family Dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good you guys think it is? I'm planning on experimenting... What you guys think? They also have in 5w20, 10w30, 10w40 flavors, but this one 5w30 was the only Synthetic blend. Was beside QS and PYB.

I'd have no problem running it IF it truly was an SN oil and not some fly-by-night outfit just slapping some labels on used motor oil. I guess Family Dollar is big enough that they are doing everything above the table. I usually wait for Peak or TropArtic to go on sale in the sub-$2 range if I'm looking for an everyday oil, but $3/quart isn't bad.
Let us know how your experiment comes out.

EDIT: I didn't see the Warren name on the label until I squinted. Should be a good oil.

Last edited:
It is a quality oil that meets basic standards that is good for mfr-spec OCI where dino is called for. Made by Warren Oil (NOT WPP)

If its not a decision on eat or buy cheap oil, buy an oil that you can rest easy running. I'm as cheap as they come for all my 50 years. Still have my 3rd grade lunch money under my pillow but I will not chance $10K in engine problem to find out if I got a good deal on cheap oil. I can envision something weird like foaming, clotting when mixed with gas blowby or moisture, separation while sitting, etc. Or over detergent/solvent and break loose large clumps of varnish/sludge and clog a passage.

You're talking 5 qts for $15 of ??? oil vs $17 for QS syn blend or SuperTech full Syn and rest easy. Is $2 two or three times a year worth the hassle of a mystery oil that MIGHT be Ok?

Yes sir you are correct. They are different Warren and WPP. Both make good to very good oils.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
How good you guys think it is? I'm planning on experimenting... What you guys think? They also have in 5w20, 10w30, 10w40 flavors, but this one 5w30 was the only Synthetic blend. Was beside QS and PYB.

If you have an HEB near you, their store brand GTC motor oils are also blended by Warren Oil and the synthetic blends are 26 cents less per quart.

For $3 a quart it would sit right were it is on the shelf. With a little shopping beating that price with a product I'd be more comfortable using wouldn't be hard.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For $3 a quart it would sit right were it is on the shelf. With a little shopping beating that price with a product I'd be more comfortable using wouldn't be hard.

^^This!! For the same (if not cheaper) price you can get a 5 quart jug of name brand oil at Walmart. I just saw 5 quart jugs of QSGB for $14 this past weekend.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

^^This!! For the same (if not cheaper) price you can get a 5 quart jug of name brand oil at Walmart. I just saw 5 quart jugs of QSGB for $14 this past weekend.

Yup, or even Mobil 1 for ~$11 per 5 qt jug after $12 rebate (yes it is a mail in rebate, but no problems with Mobil 1 rebates).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back