Fram xg 10060

I need some knowledge on a fram xg 10060. I went to put it on my ram hemi.before I put the filter on I looked in side at the tube holes there are only 3 rows of very small holes in the center tube. So I looked in side of a wix i have. I see more holes and they are a lot larger. Just want to know if it is enough flow for a 2015 hemi.

I wouldn't worry about it as Fram Ultras are known to have very good flow ratings. That said, if you have room, the XG10575 is a longer version of the XG10060. I know that in GM applications they can be used interchangeably as ACDelco officially stated all applications using the PF48 (10060) can/should switch to the PF63 (10575). If you have room, using the longer filter is perfectly fine.

Thanks for the reply. I am not a filter expert. I put the xg 10060 on yesterday but took it off today. I just can't see how 3 rows of holes that are only 1/8 inch or so will flow enough oil. I went back to a wix that has 4 rows of holes and are twice the size. I read xg filters flow better I just can't see it.could this cause the bypass valve to open.

Originally Posted By: Badoil
Thanks for the reply. I am not a filter expert. I put the xg 10060 on yesterday but took it off today. I just can't see how 3 rows of holes that are only 1/8 inch or so will flow enough oil. I went back to a wix that has 4 rows of holes and are twice the size. I read xg filters flow better I just can't see it.could this cause the bypass valve to open.

Add up the total area of all the center tube holes and compare to the area of the tube the filter mounts to. The area of the center tube holes should be equal or greater than the area of the mount tube.

How many inlet holes does it have? How big are they?
If the number and size of holes is the same or more in the center tube, what is the problem?

comparing the holes between two different brands is not an apple to apple comparison.

It's really the hole in the mounting "spud" on the engine, which is smaller than the center hole in the base plate of the filter.

Thanks you know more about this than I do. I took a good look with a flashlight. Both filters 8 holes along top mounting plate. Both filters have about same number of holes in center tube. My only issue is the size. The fram is about half the size of the wix holes in center tube. Maybe I am over concerned.

Both filters 8 holes along top mounting plate. Both filters have about same number of holes in center tube. My only issue is the size. The fram is about half the size of the wix holes in center tube.
Fram XG's small mounting plate holes have been mentioned before, but I had not previously considered the small center tube holes. Presumably this filter is still being designed with these smallish holes, and presumably the filter flows fine. However, I'm curious if others share this concern.

Thanks you know more about this than I do. I took a good look with a flashlight. Both filters 8 holes along top mounting plate. Both filters have about same number of holes in center tube. My only issue is the size. The fram is about half the size of the wix holes in center tube. Maybe I am over concerned.
Everyone keeps saying you're "over concerned" yet you keep posting you don't believe it. In that case, removing it and putting on another brand is probably best since you appear to be unconvinced no matter what anyone says.

Since you replaced it can you post pictures of the holes you don't like?

Fram XG's small mounting plate holes have been mentioned before, but I had not previously considered the small center tube holes. Presumably this filter is still being designed with these smallish holes, and presumably the filter flows fine. However, I'm curious if others share this concern.
Badoil does.

I need some knowledge on a fram xg 10060. I went to put it on my ram hemi.before I put the filter on I looked in side at the tube holes there are only 3 rows of very small holes in the center tube. So I looked in side of a wix i have. I see more holes and they are a lot larger. Just want to know if it is enough flow for a 2015 hemi.
After the filter the oil has to squeeze through the bearings and very small passages. It gets through and the resistance is shown as oil pressure on the gauge. The filter holes are just more places for the oil to pass through on it's way around the circuit back to the oil pond in the pan. They are designed correctly in this case, Fram is not new to the game. The holes don't really restrict in any meaningful way, the media does and it creates a pressure drop across the media. I don't even know if anyone has or can measure the pressure drop through the center tube or baseplate holes, it would be very small.

^^^ The delta-p across the filter (which is only a few PSI when the oil is hot) includes all the filter components including the base inlet holes and the center tube holes. And if the media is the majority of the delta-p then the base plate and center tube holes are adding hardly anything to the total delta-p across the filter assembly.

And it's been shown a few times that if you add up the total flow area of the base holes or the center tube holes, that the area of them add up to more than the total flow area of the main oil gallery after the filter.

People look at holes and automatically think they are "too small" or "not enough" without actually looking at it logically. Kind of like when people look out at a flat land in Kansas and conclude the earth is flat, lol. 😄

Last edited:
After the filter the oil has to squeeze through the bearings and very small passages. It gets through and the resistance is shown as oil pressure on the gauge. The filter holes are just more places for the oil to pass through on it's way around the circuit back to the oil pond in the pan. They are designed correctly in this case, Fram is not new to the game. The holes don't really restrict in any meaningful way, the media does and it creates a pressure drop across the media. I don't even know if anyone has or can measure the pressure drop through the center tube or baseplate holes, it would be very small.
Thanks, that makes me feel better about this filter. One lingering concern, however, is that the bypass setting, compared to the equivalent ACDelco:

Fram XG10060: 9-15 PSI

ACDelco PF48: 15 PSI

It seems that the Fram's bypass valve may crack open too soon, at 9 PSI. I'm not sure when the PF48's bypass valve cracks open (does anyone have this information?), but the reported setting is 15 PSI, which may be the "midpoint" PSI between cracking open and fully open. In that case, the Fram opens too soon.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about this filter. One lingering concern, however, is that the bypass setting, compared to the equivalent ACDelco:

Fram XG10060: 9-15 PSI

ACDelco PF48: 15 PSI

It seems that the Fram's bypass valve may crack open too soon, at 9 PSI. I'm not sure when the PF48's bypass valve cracks open (does anyone have this information?), but the reported setting is 15 PSI, which may be the "midpoint" PSI between cracking open and fully open. In that case, the Fram opens too soon.

The bypass valve is designed around the filter more than around the car. Keep in mind that one filter is designed to fit many different engines. Just look at 10 different brand filters that are specified for the same exact engine. They don't all have the same bypass setting, so nobody can say for sure that any one of them is "set wrong" because nobody here was actually involved with the design and testing of the filters.

The bypass valve is designed around the filter more than around the car.
That's a good point. When using these filters, I guess we just have to trust that the bypass is set correctly in relation to the filter's flow resistance characteristics.

Back