Cleaning plastic intake manifold interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to ship an LS nylon composite intake manifold for testing. It has been requested that the intake plenum and runners be thoroughly cleaned prior to shipment. I don't think I'll be able to get my hand inside the manifold but it will be off the vehicle for cleaning; what can I use to safely clean the inside of the manifold?

I would use a large plastic tub and soak it. Pinesol and water should work well, or something like Simple Green or another degreaser like LA Totally Awesome. Or Lye and water.

Last edited:
Good suggestions, Simple Green cuts grease well.

Then - power wash the living daylights out of it!!

I actually just did this project.

I bought an LS6 intake that has been sitting in a dusty garage. Picked up a big Rubbermaid bin and filled it with Dawn and hot water. Let the intake soak overnight, used a bottle brush in the runners and a wheel cleaning brush in plenum, rinsed it out, and let it air dry.

Nice and clean. It's now on the car... doing it's part to help change rubber into smoke.

Part of the porting process added metal bars inside the plenum to help the air turn towards the runners. There was also epoxy and a special type of plastic glue used in the porting process. I don't want the solvent to affect those changes.

Pinesol will cause rubber to swell, I don't know what it would do to the glue. Simple green, purple power or dawn should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back