will load range e trailer tires last loner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new trailer came with 235/80/r16 taskmaster trailer tires which are load range E. They seem to be wearing okay so far and not rubbing off like an eraser like the Chinese tires I put on from amazon on my old trailer. I think taskmasters are probably made in china too, but oh well. Supposedly the trailer is 2000 pounds, then another 1900 pounds for the equipment, so there isn't much weight at all.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Internal construction of the tire will not change tread life.

Yes the higher load range just it has more cords and can inflate to higher pressure. The tread rubber is the same.

Country of manufacture is always stamped on the sidewall of the tire, no need to guess.

Trailer tires are so hit and miss anymore. To answer you question. I really don't think it does.

I am on my second set on the 2012 Passport I have. I went with Carlisle's this time around. The make an actual trailer tire rated to

81 mph.

Of course I will never see that...It is rare I see 65 but I like the cushion and they dissipate heat well.

Here they are.

Carlisle Tires

I have heard good and bad things about all trailer tires.

I have had Carlisle's on two trailers now. I keep them inflated properly and I have had no issues.

They will age out due to UV damage well before you can wear them out.

Originally Posted By: CKN
They will age out due to UV damage well before you can wear them out.
Depends on how much you use them, we see the exact opposite-they either wear out the tread, or get an unrepairable puncture. Supposedly trailer tires are less susceptible to UV damage-maybe that's what makes the tread wear like chocolate marshmallows!

I would go with the deepest tread on an E rated tire. If money is no object, pick a re-capable steel case commercial tire.
Michelin XPS rib or traction are 2 examples in 235/85/16, one inch taller than your tires.

Last edited:
Guy at work runs the Goodyear Endurance trailer tires - carries a bulldozer on them ...

It really depends on the Durometer of the rubber used, and tread design plays a large role, as well.

Originally Posted By: PumpPusher
Skip the trailer tires and look for a LT tire.

That's exactly why I had them put 16" rims on the trailer when I had it built. Easier to find an LT tire.

One problem I had with those cheap Chinese tires I put on my other trailer that wore out after like 3,000 miles was that the tread portion wasn't really flat, so even airing them down to the proper amount for the load it still wore the middle portion out before the rest of the tire.

I thought the higher load rating had a harder rubber compound to deal with the heavier weight.

I think they'll last a bit longer, and the next set if you buy a little better tire they might do even better, who knows.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I think they'll last a bit longer, and the next set if you buy a little better tire they might do even better, who knows.

I can already tell they're wearing okay and not rubbing off like an eraser.

I've had my best luck using LT tires as well. So many trailer tires are just awful. I think they design them from the get go to have extremely limited use, since that's what most do with their trailers.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I thought the higher load rating had a harder rubber compound to deal with the heavier weight.

No, Load Range C, D, E, and even F's are all made from the same materials. What is different is the amount of strength in the casing - to hold the pressure in.

But, Yes!, LT and ST tires are different than P type tires and the tread compound for an LT and ST will have less *compression set* - which makes them harder (higher durometer)

Think it's the law to mark origin- I have 4 Goodyear Marathon 14's from China (no issues) - whereas the top of the line Goodyear Assurance ST is only made in the USA ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back