Oil fill gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
cylinder-head-cover-2825779.png

So I was looking at my oil fill cap the other day and did not notice a gasket like the drawing shows for # 10. Only other explanation is that it is there and it just looks like part of the cap. Any other Honda owners missing one?

That got me to wondering so I went out to my 2002 CRV and checked and saw no gasket, however the cap goes on and seems to seal ok and no evidence of losing oil via the cap not sealing, so I am not going to worry about it. I think as long as it seals and does not leak it is OK.

This is more like a big thick O-ring that sits in a round grove on the bottom of the fill cap. When in the correct position, you may not notice it is there. When missing, you will notice the empty grove.

For some reason on my `07 Accord the o-ring comes off the cap sometimes.

My car has a flat gasket the thickness of the plastic used in many a water bottle but not as thick as, say, a Clorox bottle. It's a maintenance item.

I just looked again... It is there its inside a groove... I messed with it a little and got it loose. When its in the groove it looks like its not even there.

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
This is more like a big thick O-ring that sits in a round grove on the bottom of the fill cap. When in the correct position, you may not notice it is there. When missing, you will notice the empty grove.

Yes, I think my old Audi was the same way. You could also order a replacement gasket, or a replacement cap with gasket.

I did notice that O ring today under better light conditions. The Rubber O ring is pretty much flush with the cap surface, but it does not appear to be having oil blow by or leakage. Of course the cap on mine appears to be an after market cap not a Honda cap. I will buy an OEM cap if it ever starts leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back