ZDDP Levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is ZDDP levels within an oil to a Roller Lifter & Cam design?

Let's say example to the Ram 5.7L with this design.
Which has shown to develop the famous roller lifter tick.
This is starting to show up more & more even on newer Rams.

There are many who have begun running Red Line oil 5W-20 / 5W-30 which has much higher levels of Moly & ZDDP and the Ticking has disappeared & has not returned.
Other oils that have lower levels of Moly / ZDDP did nothing to quiet the ticking lifters & in most cases became worse.
With Many reports of lifter collapse & cam failure.

Funny, the Hemi motors are known to run many a many miles under all sorts of duress -- you might be exaggerating some!!!
shocked.gif

Sounds like you've been on forums where someone is making a mountain out of a mole hill. The Hemi has proven itself worthy over millions of accumulated miles. I've personally been inside of 8, 4 of which were fleet trucks getting engine rebuilds to go back into service for a courier service. All 4 of the fleet engines had between 365,000 and 400,000 miles. All of the camshfts were reused. Zinc is of limited benefit in a roller cam engine with respect to the roller or bearings inside the roller. All 4 of those fleet trucks never got anything other than bulk conventional oil at 10k intervals.

If you want to run Red Line go ahead. It's a great oil. But it simply isn't needed for these engines.

Of note all 4 of the high mileage Hemis could've just had rings bearings and gaskets and been returned to service. But that's not what the customer wanted so they all got a full rebuild.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Sounds like you've been on forums where someone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

That would be me. I had Redline fix my lifter tick, and subsequently over 5 years we had about 20 guys also end their 5.7 lifter ticks on Redline oil. We kept track, and it is about 80% success rate. The last guy committed to trying many different oils and in the end, he gave up on Amsoil SS 5w30, PUP 5w30 and some other oils because only Redline 5w30 keeps his 5.7 quiet.

Furthermore, we had the last 6 lifter Cam failures, as in the Cam lobs wore to the nub all with Hemi's, all trace back to engines that used oils that have zero moly. The last 6 in a row! So it is all recorded over on Ram forum, maybe some guys here would consider it or tell how Redline either worked or didn't for the Hemi ticks, but the facts are the facts and it has 4 solid years worth of backing, now going on 5.

So the question should be why did this happen? The working theory is it is Molybdenum in Redline because most of the ticks disappear only after 500 miles, if it was the base oil or esters, it likely would have ended the tick sooner?

Or is this not enough evidence to convince people of Bob's that these are facts, not a big enough control group?

Donald: No Tizzy ever mentioned.
I just asked a very simple question about the importance of ZDDP levels to a roller lifter cam design.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
Donald: No Tizzy ever mentioned.
I just asked a very simple question about the importance of ZDDP levels to a roller lifter cam design.

But accusing you of a tizzy adds so much drama to an otherwise boring yet informative thread.
grin.gif

Atleast I found the thread helpful.

Of note all 4 of the high mileage Hemis could've just had rings bearings and gaskets and been returned to service. But that's not what the customer wanted so they all got a full rebuild.

The customer doesn't always know best.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
ZDDP is good for sliding parts, a roller lifter shouldn't be sliding

Not sure if I agree with this.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
There are many who have begun running Red Line oil 5W-20 / 5W-30 which has much higher levels of Moly & ZDDP and the Ticking has disappeared & has not returned.
Other oils that have lower levels of Moly / ZDDP did nothing to quiet the ticking lifters & in most cases became worse.
With Many reports of lifter collapse & cam failure.

A case of more is better, though not every circumstance benefits from it.
blush.gif

Last edited:
I have heard that the reason Red Line has high Zinc and Moly is that the nature of its base oil makes it "harder" for anti-wear additives to have their proper effect. Something about esters having a tendency to "displace" zinc and other additives. I don't know if this is true or not - if it is true, I wonder if higher zinc in a non-ester based oil would function even better.

This should be a question about roller tappets ONLY. Sound like a roller failure. That's a fast spinning bearing and some are gonna go if a marginal batch gets installed.
When they go the cam gets beat up. ZDDP wont help you here - maybe prolong the failure buy a couple hours. Does the hemi use roller tip rockers too? ( I would doubt it).
Under certail condition the roller will skate due to hydrodyn lube scenario - back in the day low moly oil was recommended - but I don't think this is a concern. If you run the cam overspeed often and float the tappets the bearings are gonna get beat up and fail sooner than later.

A great oil might lube the Timken better than a petro group III garbage.

Originally Posted By: burla
Sounds like you've been on forums where someone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

That would be me. I had Redline fix my lifter tick, and subsequently over 5 years we had about 20 guys also end their 5.7 lifter ticks on Redline oil. We kept track, and it is about 80% success rate. The last guy committed to trying many different oils and in the end, he gave up on Amsoil SS 5w30, PUP 5w30 and some other oils because only Redline 5w30 keeps his 5.7 quiet.

Furthermore, we had the last 6 lifter Cam failures, as in the Cam lobs wore to the nub all with Hemi's, all trace back to engines that used oils that have zero moly. The last 6 in a row! So it is all recorded over on Ram forum, maybe some guys here would consider it or tell how Redline either worked or didn't for the Hemi ticks, but the facts are the facts and it has 4 solid years worth of backing, now going on 5.

So the question should be why did this happen? The working theory is it is Molybdenum in Redline because most of the ticks disappear only after 500 miles, if it was the base oil or esters, it likely would have ended the tick sooner?

Or is this not enough evidence to convince people of Bob's that these are facts, not a big enough control group?

I'm going to approach this in stages.

We just don't have enough information here to make an informed argument for or against your claims. Your micro cross section on your Forum board is also a poor sampling of the overall production of Hemi engines produced, probably accounting for less than 1% of all engines produced from introduction to current. Parts fail in service, people seek information in internet forums, and this explains the heightened awareness to the issue in your Forum and likely skews the incidence of reporting. What was the mileage, maintenance interval, operating conditions, climates etc. of the trucks reporting camshaft failures? If the owner of those trucks with a documented failure wasn’t the original owner of the vehicle how can we account for services and usage prior to their ownership, how are we determining that NO moly was in the oil of the engines that failed, no moly ever? Not even in the factory fill? Are we to assume that just one oil change (or two or three) using oil without a Moly additive caused the failure? Because if that was the case shouldn’t we be seeing a significantly higher failure rate? Are they openly and honestly reporting their maintenance (or lack thereof)? The fact remains that millions of these engines are on the road, the majority of them are services in independent garages and quick lubes, a smaller portion are dealer serviced and a microscopic percentage of them are serviced with Redline. Are we to believe that if everyone ran Redline oil that there would NEVER be a camshaft (really a lifter failure) failure?

Ticking only stops after 500 miles:
The assumption that it takes “time” for the Moly to do its job and quiet the valve train noise but not time for the ester base stocks to work doesn’t add up. If anything it takes time for the ester base stocks to remove deposits much like it takes time for a moly tribofilm to be deposited and provide benefit.

Camshaft failures in a roller cam engine:
Roller camshafts fail by going flat for only a few reasons. The PRIMARY factor in a roller CAMSHAFT failure is a failure of the associated roller LIFTER. Once the lifter no longer rolls, or rolls at an angle (either due to an axle failure, bearing failure, body or link bar failure) the loading on the camshaft exceeds the structural strength of the camshaft lobe and metal begins to shed, same scenario for when the lifter roller wheel is no longer rotating (or rotates at a rate slower then it’s linear travel across the camshaft lobe) once the lifter is actually sliding along the camshaft, rapid (and catastrophic) wear of the lobe will occur. This is a failure of the LIFTER not the camshaft, one just leads to the other. If the noise that the users was hearing was a result of a failed lifter, no oil would save the engine from the damage that was occurring, it would not fix itself in 500 miles. The only explanation I can offer is that the noise is related to the hydraulic metering and lash adjustment occurring inside the lifter which could possibly be influenced by different oil. The failure of a component is likely just that, a failure that was going to happen due to faulty manufacturing or improper maintenance.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Redline oils (I use them in my own vehicles), but I can’t make the connection to the bold claims stated here. Moreover I don’t believe that there is a widespread issue with valve train in Hemi engines, likely a few isolated incidents.

I'm not sure why Syn titled the thread they way he did, the message probably won't be getting to people it could have helped. But I wouldn't doubt you would "try" and discredit the work we have done over 5 years, this is what Bob's has become. A shadow of what it once was, remember when guys used to test stuff and be excited? 16 Rams out of 20, Hemi Ticks silenced just by running high moly redline oil. Since I happen to be one of the 16, no amount of mumbo jumbo would convince me other wise. Anyone having Hemi tick and you rule out exhaust bolts, give Redline 5w30 a try. Pretty amazing results so far. I do make assumptions it is the moly, primarily because most of the oils have decent zinc, but it is also possible it is the base oil. If the hem's are ticking which lets face it is more like a sewing machine knock, clearly whatever oil currently being run isn't silencing the tick. Then when guys move over to redline, clearly most of them the tick becomes a thing of the past. My tick started when I had 3500 on my new ram. Chapped me fierce when the dealer said it is normal. Now, 4 plus years later BUTTER SMOOTH of either 5w20 Redline or 5w30 Redline, both oils worked.

Whatever, the results speak for themselves and are well documented where you find Syn and Burla. Carry on Bob'stheoilguyforum. A lot of good info here if you ignore the talkers.

Originally Posted By: burla
I'm not sure why Syn titled the thread they way he did, the message probably won't be getting to people it could have helped. But I wouldn't doubt you would "try" and discredit the work we have done over 5 years, this is what Bob's has become. A shadow of what it once was, remember when guys used to test stuff and be excited? 16 Rams out of 20, Hemi Ticks silenced just by running high moly redline oil. Since I happen to be one of the 16, no amount of mumbo jumbo would convince me other wise. Anyone having Hemi tick and you rule out exhaust bolts, give Redline 5w30 a try. Pretty amazing results so far. I do make assumptions it is the moly, primarily because most of the oils have decent zinc, but it is also possible it is the base oil. If the hem's are ticking which lets face it is more like a sewing machine knock, clearly whatever oil currently being run isn't silencing the tick. Then when guys move over to redline, clearly most of them the tick becomes a thing of the past. My tick started when I had 3500 on my new ram. Chapped me fierce when the dealer said it is normal. Now, 4 plus years later BUTTER SMOOTH of either 5w20 Redline or 5w30 Redline, both oils worked.

Whatever, the results speak for themselves and are well documented where you find Syn and Burla. Carry on Bob'stheoilguyforum. A lot of good info here if you ignore the talkers.

I'm assuming that was targeted at me.

I'm not trying to discredit your "work". I'm simply pointing out holes in the logic/process as well as providing insight to failure modes of certain components. I'm all for trying things to find a solution to a problem, hopefully this reaches the people that it can help.

You're coming in hot here guns blazing when people ask simple questions and provide rational basis and engineering process reasons for failures. I can't speak for others but I have over a decade of experience in post failure analysis for internal combustion engines of all makes (both gas and diesels). Your dismissive and defensive attitude isn't helping your case.

Cheers

Multiple guys taking part in this testing over 5 years, all you should have said was wow that is amazing, you really hit on something. Instead you "poke holes" but not discredit? If the results were different, that would be one thing, but the results are the results. Time in and time out, another guy with a knocking hemi goes quiet just by changing oil. Probably a better % then actually changing lifters, that's right other guys swapped lifters and still had the knock. I'm a little disheartened Redline moly levels have been dropping, I would like to see them back at 880ppm instead of the 550ppm we seam to be at now, but we have had equal success with both, so as of now it is a non issue, but who knows what the future holds for the formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back