Recipe ingredient measurement 101 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to follow a recipe fundamental in which the author says: 1/3 protein, 1/3 starch, and 1/3 vegetable.

The specific recipe I'm trying to follow calls for 2 cups of grain, and I want to use amaranth. My question is: how do I know how much 2 cups of amaranth is? Since many grains absorb a lot of water, am I supposed to measure the grain based on dry weight, or cooked weight? Either way, how do I know how much 2 cups of amaranth is? Surely the author wouldn't want me to use dry grain weight if he intends me to follow the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 concept?

For my vegetable, I'm going to use beet greens. Raw beet greens are quite a bit different in weight and volume than cooked (i.e., sauteed) beet greens so how do I measure those?

Thank you!

Ed

I've seen recipes call for "2 cups of cooked rice". Other "citations" include "2 cups of mushrooms", then you're instructed to cook 'em. They will shrink, obviously.

You'll get the feel for it as you cook. Heck, if I can do it, you can do it.

Keep in mind that WEIGHT is the "King of Measurements" but there are exceptions.

People generally don't need a lot of protein unless they are body builders.

I'd cook the amaranth and add just a few ounces of your desired meat to taste.

Grains are usually measured by pre-cooked, or dry. As in "cook 1 cup of rice" not "cook rice to make 1 cup".

I'm curious - guess it's 1/3 each by calorie count?

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
I'm trying to follow a recipe fundamental in which the author says: 1/3 protein, 1/3 starch, and 1/3 vegetable.

The specific recipe I'm trying to follow calls for 2 cups of grain, and I want to use amaranth. My question is: how do I know how much 2 cups of amaranth is? Since many grains absorb a lot of water, am I supposed to measure the grain based on dry weight, or cooked weight? Either way, how do I know how much 2 cups of amaranth is? Surely the author wouldn't want me to use dry grain weight if he intends me to follow the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 concept?

For my vegetable, I'm going to use beet greens. Raw beet greens are quite a bit different in weight and volume than cooked (i.e., sauteed) beet greens so how do I measure those?

Thank you!

Ed

I want to know what is meant by 1/3rd of each.

Are we talking weight, volume, calories, or some other comparative measure.

Is the specific recipe from the same author as the fundamental concept?

If not, ask the author of the fundamental what is meant by 1/3... One third of what measurement as asked above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back