Renault dci oil and interval advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
Any advice on oil and interval changes on a Renault Duster 1,5dci ? Dealer advice terrible .
Location is Jhb SouthAfrica , never below freezing ,summer temps high 20's to low 30's deg C .

30000km or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Oils vary from years and horsepower, and of course dpf fitted or not. The dci 110hp requires 5w30 RN0720 (ACEA C4), the others dpf 5w40 or 5w30 ACEA C3, and most non-dpf versions could run 10w40 or 5w40 or 5w30 ACEA A3/B4

What is your model? Also, DACIA or RENAULT branded? And uh, OCIs are different between countries.

Last edited:
Is this famous 1.5 dCi wich is throwing the main bearings on the crank?

Just DONT follow OEM 30kkm OCI advice....go with 10-15kkm OCI

And inspect its crankshaft bearings for wear (play) when you will have main/big service (@90-120kkms)....replacement is cheaper then new engine

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Just DONT follow OEM 30kkm OCI advice....go with 10-15kkm OCI

While I see a lot of dCi engines (1.5 & 2.0, a few 2.2, rare 1.6 and 2.5) running 30000 kilometers OCIs reach 300Mkm with no major repair (damper maybe), oil at 30000km is sometimes THICK on the dipstick.

I run wife's 2.0 dCi now with 5W40 C3 oil, 20Mkm interval (15Mkm was really OK), oil and filter.

Dont equal 2.2 (or 2.5) dCi from commercial programme (R Master) with 2.2 dCi from passenger programme (R Laguna...)

From all diesel engines you had mentioned above... Only ancient 1.6D and 2.0 dCi were bulletproof (passenger part)
smile.gif

Last edited:
1.5 dci seems bulletproof enough, especially the low boost versions (65-70hp non dpf), passenger (clio) or commercial passenger derived (kangoo)...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Dont equal 2.2 (or 2.5) dCi from commercial programme (R Master) with 2.2 dCi from passenger programme (R Laguna...)

From all diesel engines you had mentioned above... Only ancient 1.6D and 2.0 dCi were bulletproof (passenger part)
smile.gif

Ugh, not for me! [censored] engine ever
smirk.gif
Maybe bad luck...

I'll presume the car is DPF/FAP equipped? 5w30 or 5w40 C3 oil and 15-17K km OCI- if you use ULSD (ultra low sulphur diesel). If not 10-12K km OCI.

Problems with 1.5 dci are restricted to -07, later are very good. We had one go to 460K without problems, and is still in service. Renault was never great at constructing diesels, but they have improved.

Some Renault commercial engines are actually IVECO product- and that's completely different ball game.

Last edited:
I would do 5/6k mile and 10/12k mile oil and filter changes.

Our old Clio 1.5 dci was one of the last without a DPF and still cracked 60mpg whem we got.rid.

It was a mk3 68bhp model.

The vehicle is currently under a service plan .Not impressed and no way will I extend it .It is a Dacia ,just badged Renault in SA .No DPF ,oil is currently changed at yearly intervals with the vehicle only having done 20k km in 2years.Reason for asking is the engine needs about 1,5L top up between services and becomes rather noisy near the yearly interval ,even though it would only have done 8k km on the oil .Asking the dealer about oil grades as specified vs used is fruitless .Hence after service plan I will maintain myself .

Could it be that they have never changed your oil... Because your car is low Mileage...

Seen that at my elderly neighbour...when I changed oil in her car for myself...oil consumption suddenly stopped
smile.gif

Her oil was 4-5 years old with cca 20kkms....service was only doing top-offs and charged her as if they did change oil

Last edited:
Prolly oil wasn't changed. Been there...

Anyway when the service plan is over I suggest you go with a good oil (no dpf on such a recent model? Sure?) and replace all filters YOURSELF
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Superflan
Prolly oil wasn't changed. Been there...

Anyway when the service plan is over I suggest you go with a good oil (no dpf on such a recent model? Sure?) and replace all filters YOURSELF
smile.gif

If the South African market are in any way similar to Ghana market vehicles then it is very possible that they are not DPF equipped.

I was browsing the Land Rover Ghana site a couple of years ago and a diesel Discovery 4 (LR4 in the US i think) was either Euro3 or Euro 4.

I think the concern may be diesel quality.

South Africa has 50ppm diesel fuel
Only the topline models generally have DPF.No emissions testing done here after you purchase the vehicle ,only a emissions tax built into the original purchase price .

Then you are better suited for full SAPS oils. 5w40 a3/b4 with RN 0710,LL-01 and MB229.5 will fit your engine great.
Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and Valvoline Synpower FST 5w40 are examples but there are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back