Repairing rusted toilet flange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to repair a rusted toilet flange. I have access from the basement and could cut the existing 4 in. Sch. 40 pipe, add a coupler and put in a complete new closet flange. The other way is using the Oatey Moss Bay replacement flange, much less work if all goes well.

However, I picked one up at Lowes and although its supposed to be stainless steel it looks suspiciously like zinc plated steel to me and doesn't say stainless steel anywhere on the flange or packaging as with other Oatey products. Could Oatey be pulling a fast one here and quietly substituted a lower quality material, has anyone used this flange?

https://www.oatey.com/2374591/Product/Oatey®-Moss-Bay-Replacement-Flange

I have used both ways make sure Oakley is screwed down good or it will loosen.if you can cut pipe you get more secure connection ,make sure screw heads are big enough to keep new flange tight. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: wog
I have used both ways make sure Oakley is screwed down good or it will loosen.if you can cut pipe you get more secure connection ,make sure screw heads are big enough to keep new flange tight. Good luck!

Cutting the pipe is possible, but I'm not sure the best way to get a clean, square cut on a 4 in. pipe.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Cutting the pipe is possible, but I'm not sure the best way to get a clean, square cut on a 4 in. pipe.

Reciprocating saw with a long metal cutting blade for a smooth cut, just have to hold it as level as you can.

But before you do that, I recommend this repair flange from Danco. We sold these at the building supply and they did real well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-HydroSeat-Toilet-Flange-Repair-10672X/204403879

As you say I don't see where it has stainless on the package either only the Lowes description which has "strainer" stainless which is an obvious misprint, I would assume zinc plated.

For a perfectly perpendicular cut on a pipe, Wrap a piece of card stock around it (a file folder works well) to make your mark.

A hose clamp also gets you pretty close.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
However, I picked one up at Lowes and although its supposed to be stainless steel it looks suspiciously like zinc plated steel to me and doesn't say stainless steel anywhere on the flange or packaging as with other Oatey products. Could Oatey be pulling a fast one here and quietly substituted a lower quality material, has anyone used this flange?

https://www.oatey.com/2374591/Product/Oatey®-Moss-Bay-Replacement-Flange

Well, as I suspected, these repair flanges are galvanized steel, not stainless. At least the Sioux Cheap version at Home Depot, which is identical right down to the stamped patent # of the Oatey brand.

Galvanized, while better than epoxy coated steel is still a step down from stainless in my opinion, especially in that location.
Moreover, it appears to be an electro plated galvanized rather than hot dipped.

I recently installed a toilet using the flange that Delta posted a few posts up. Very simple even for a complete novice like me.

I too would use the flange Delta suggested, or given the piping is exposed and easily accessed by the basement, I'd cut it out downstream of the flange and couple plastic to it with a Fernco rubber coupler and go with plastic right up to the toilet like you stated. I've gone this route before. I'd use one of those nifty urethane seal donuts too as opposed to a wax ring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back