Genuine Kia oil filter 5200mi 16 Kia Soul cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend with the 2016 Kia Soul was over today to get his oil changed again. For those of you who have seen me post these filters in the past you may remember that he supplements his income as an Uber driver. In addition to the miles this puts on his car it also includes quite a bit of idling here in Florida in the summer heat. This filter was in use for 5200 miles with Peak conventional 10w30, time in use was 7 weeks. Filter was replaced with another genuine Kia filter and 4.5 quarts of Peak conventional 10w30, the last of my 10w30 peak stash. Next time it will get 5w30 peak instead until that's all used up. Another boring nothing to see here filter. ADBV did its job and the filter was full of oil upon cutting even after sitting upside down for over an hour after removal. ADBV was soft and pliable.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks very good.

I thought some Hyundai engines rattled with non OEM oil filter and there was a TSB about it.

There was/is an issue with that. Additionally there is an issue with oil pressure excursions on certain engines that can cause canister rupture or base gasket failure. For the price of the OEM filters online I don't take the chance for my friend. For $20 he gets an OE filter from me and 4.5 quarts of conventional oil from my stash. I make a little he saves a little it reduces my stash. Everyone wins.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks very good.

I thought some Hyundai engines rattled with non OEM oil filter and there was a TSB about it.

There was/is an issue with that. Additionally there is an issue with oil pressure excursions on certain engines that can cause canister rupture or base gasket failure. For the price of the OEM filters online I don't take the chance for my friend. For $20 he gets an OE filter from me and 4.5 quarts of conventional oil from my stash. I make a little he saves a little it reduces my stash. Everyone wins.

Luke: we use the look alike Kia/Hyundai filters I posted while back. The "engine rattle" thing has hit our KIA's in past so dealer they went for recalls.

Thanks for the cut and post as always
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Car51 & Airgun, thanks for the kind words. As always I enjoy sharing with the community here. I didn't expect any surprises here as the previous OE filter I cut looked really good as well. I have 3 left to use in his car which should be enough to exhaust my stash of Peak oil which I've been exclusively using in his car.

High quality looking construction on that filter without knowing it's filtration performance. I'm sure it performs just fine like most OEM filters, though.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon
High quality looking construction on that filter without knowing it's filtration performance. I'm sure it performs just fine like most OEM filters, though.

Like I mentioned last time I cut one of these, I'm more concerned about the issues that caused a TSB to be issued for engine noise and the integrity of the filter during pressure excursions than filtering efficiency. Even if its on par or below the efficiency of a jobber tier filter from PepBoys or JiffyLube at least he's getting a known quantity filter from a quality standard and a reputable oil. All for $20.

Thanks for the post. Yep I use the Hyundai filters on my sonata. They are super heavy. However people on here say they don't filter so well.

Works fine for me at 3750 intervals with no startup knock so I'll stick with it.

I buy a six pack online for cheap with crush washers.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Thanks for the post. Yep I use the Hyundai filters on my sonata. They are super heavy. However people on here say they don't filter so well.

Works fine for me at 3750 intervals with no startup knock so I'll stick with it.

I buy a six pack online for cheap with crush washers.

This car is probably on the border of extreme/severe service also but considering he's putting on 5,000 miles every 6-8 weeks I feel comfortable with him running 5k OCI. Also I have faith in the Warren produced Peak oil I've been putting in it. After my Peak stash is gone it will likely get Mobil Super 5k.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Looks great. Nice job for your friend
smile.gif

Of note the last 2 filters I've cut have significantly less soot/carbon in the bottom of the filter than the first filter I cut that was installed by the Ford dealership (FL810) along with presumably MC 5w20. I'm not sure if it was short tripped prior to him getting it resulting in more GDI carbon or what. The last 2 changes with Peak oil and OE filter have shown just a trace of carbon. Granted it gets driven quite a bit with 5,000 miles in 7 weeks.

He puts more miles on that car in 7 weeks than I do on my truck in 7 months.

Another boring Hyundai/Kia filter. Solid filters.
I used them or Wix on my old '04 Elantra for over 130,000 miles (doing a few 10,000 mile intervals on them as well).

Thanks for posting.

Dang! You beat me to it. I just cut a genuine Kia 2 days ago with 7000 miles on it. Looks identical to yours. Very good shape.

FlyNavy, thanks for taking the time and effort to post your photos and findings! I have been using the OEM filter on my wifes 2014 Elantra with what I feel are good results.https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4470704/Magnatec_5W/20_2014_Elantra_51#Post4470704
6 iron and 6 aluminum wear.

I saw on other posts that Fram Ultra filtered to much smaller microns then the OEM. Would it really make that much difference in wear and could the aftermarket filter cause startup knock? The engine is now running very smoothly and quietly.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
FlyNavy, thanks for taking the time and effort to post your photos and findings! I have been using the OEM filter on my wifes 2014 Elantra with what I feel are good results.https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4470704/Magnatec_5W/20_2014_Elantra_51#Post4470704
6 iron and 6 aluminum wear.

I saw on other posts that Fram Ultra filtered to much smaller microns then the OEM. Would it really make that much difference in wear and could the aftermarket filter cause startup knock? The engine is now running very smoothly and quietly.

No worries. I'm always happy to contribute to the group here and harbor open and honest discussion between members. As for the Fram Ultra, if it was my own car I'd probably run one, it's an exceptionally well built filter with exceptional efficiency. I highly doubt that it would contribute to start-up noise.

However since this isn't my car and it's under warranty with a purchased extended warranty I dont want the dealership to have any reasons to deny my friend any warranty claims. So for me using the OEM filter is a comfort factor.

When I changed oil on an Hyundai my old boss had, he noticed it was much quieter with the OEM filter than the Casite ones the corner shop used. Of course they had dealerphobia, but it's one of the cases I feel OEM is best and the price wasn't much more than a Fram.

Uber drivers also idle a lot, good call on the 10W-30, less VII to shear down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back