2.8 Duramax I4 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here have one and how is it going??????
And why did you go the Diesel route and is it paying off for you?
I've had many but looking for some thoughts on this engine. Thanks!

So I work on Subase Bangor. I have always said, what a government vehicle has in miles at least double that...tons of different drives, idle time, short trips yada yada. You get the pictures.

The use a lot of GM, Ford and Dodge trucks. The cars are well you name it. Mopar, Ford, Toyota, Chevy, Hyundai. It is a hodge podge.

The have recently updated all the S-10s and Canyons/Colorados

They use a bunch of the 2.8 Duramaxs and the code I am in has one of those and a 3/4 ton Chevy van with a 4.8.

The little Duramax has just over 30,000 miles on it. Everyone likes it. I drive it a few times week and have to say I really like. Has plenty of power, is quiet and smooth

I couldn't tell you about gas mileage, but it has only has 1 oil change.

I'm a UPS semi mechanic. My advise is if you buy one, do NOT think you can get away with letting the engine idle like diesels of yesteryear without consequence.
Start the engine up and drive off, regardless of temperature.

In addition to that, how much the engine option cost, how much more diesel cost than gas, the extra long term repair bills that accompany a modern emissions laden
diesel plus the fact gas engines aren't that far behind in fuel economy makes a diesel something for someone that is a fanboy like someone buying a brand new car with a manual transmission.

I'm a diesel veteran and agree.
I'd love to drive one in a 3500 series van. That would be interesting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back