Ford Powerstroke 6.7 Motorcraft FL2051S

When I bought my 6.7 ('15) I also bought a case (12) of MotorCraft oil filters. I UOA at every OC and every one has come back excellent, and I go until the IOLM tells me to "change oil now".

I don't know what you're looking for from your filter choice, but the MotorCraft has performed as it should in my case. When I bought the case of filters they were around $13 per filter and it gets changed between 7,500 mi.-10,000 mi.
So my question is what are you expecting from a different filter.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
When I bought my 6.7 ('15) I also bought a case (12) of MotorCraft oil filters. I UOA at every OC and every one has come back excellent, and I go until the IOLM tells me to "change oil now".

I don't know what you're looking for from your filter choice, but the MotorCraft has performed as it should in my case. When I bought the case of filters they were around $13 per filter and it gets changed between 7,500 mi.-10,000 mi.
Have you ever cut one of them open after 7,500-10,000 miles? A UOA would not show anything out of the ordinary due to a problem with the filter. To answer your question, for the amount of money an FL-2051s costs, I would want to be in better shape after only 4,300 miles. To each his or her own, but (for me) that filter is not worth the money--plenty of others at the same price point that have higher quality of construction. As a side note, with the amount of highway miles that you pull, I would be surprised if anything other than a perfect UOA came back.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Have you ever cut one of them open after 7,500-10,000 miles? A UOA would not show anything out of the ordinary due to a problem with the filter. To answer your question, for the amount of money an FL-2051s costs, I would want to be in better shape after only 4,300 miles. To each his or her own, but (for me) that filter is not worth the money--plenty of others at the same price point that have higher quality of construction. As a side note, with the amount of highway miles that you pull, I would be surprised if anything other than a perfect UOA came back.

Isn't the purpose of an oil filter to filter the oil? If there was a problem with an oil filter (tear ect) wouldn't the resulting particles floating through the engine cause damage? A UOA would definitely show this, just as it would show a faulty air filter with a higher than normal silicon number.

The point is I am trying to figure out what the definition of "better" is and how one would determine it.

Awful looking filter there for sure. I would use the WIX XP over the MC filters after seeing this. Thanks for the photo.

Isn't the purpose of an oil filter to filter the oil? If there was a problem with an oil filter (tear ect) wouldn't the resulting particles floating through the engine cause damage? A UOA would definitely show this, just as it would show a faulty air filter with a higher than normal silicon number.

Are you getting a "Cleanliness Code" particle count done when you get a UOA? It's not part of a normal UOA.

Isn't the purpose of an oil filter to filter the oil? If there was a problem with an oil filter (tear ect) wouldn't the resulting particles floating through the engine cause damage?
Yes, of course, but there can be many variables here--(how large the tear is, how long the OC was ran after the tear, etc.)

A UOA would definitely show this, just as it would show a faulty air filter with a higher than normal silicon number.
This has been discussed ad nauseam on this site and unless I have missed it (definitely possible), there has not been a UOA posted that showed a drastic change in wear metals due to a torn oil filter. UOAs can only measure a certain particle size and there have been cases where a UOA shows nothing abnormal and the engine grenades shortly thereafter.

The point is I am trying to figure out what the definition of "better" is and how one would determine it.
Better for me is:

1. Not having to worry about a filter tearing during a run.
2. Not overpaying for a lesser quality oil filter.
3. Obtaining a higher efficiency filter for the same price point (may not always be possible).

I just do not care for the quality of MC filters of late. In the past, I ran MC filters for 15K so I am no stranger to long OCIs, but I would not use an MC filter at all these days and certainly not a long filter like an FL-2051s with its very poorly supported media--but again, to each his or her own.

+1^^^^^^

This is the first “aftermarket” filter my PS has had. It’s made it this far on MC filters, but now that I’m edging out of warranty I refuse to pay premium price for sub-par build quality.

I see Roadrunner's point...similar to looking at how dark oil is and saying it is dirty and needs to be changed (without UOA). if an oil filter wasn't filtering correctly...wouldn't the TBN not stay high?

Last edited:
Shouldn't we look at filters durability by whether one is extending OCIs? Like FRAM Ultra vs Fram Though Guard. I personally will consider switching to Donaldson as I want to hedge any failure potential in my heavy duty usage.

Also, what ensures that when a filter tears that small chunks of media don't off and go through the engine? A small piece of broken off media could still go through a center tube hole or louver.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I see Roadrunner's point...similar to looking at how dark oil is and saying it is dirty and needs to be changed (without UOA). if an oil filter wasn't filtering correctly...wouldn't the TBN not stay high?
Not being sarcastic, but have you ever seen a low TBN on any diesel UOA posted on this site? I have only been looking at them since I bought my PSD, but I have not seen any. Also, I am not sure a factory filter plays that large of a role in TBN retention, this typically comes into play with bypass systems.

Shouldn't we look at filters durability by whether one is extending OCIs? Like FRAM Ultra vs Fram Though Guard. I personally will consider switching to Donaldson as I want to hedge any failure potential in my heavy duty usage.
Not when they appear as the OPs did with a little over 4K miles on it AND when considering the MCs price point versus other filters--at least from my point of view, I would not, I simply see no reason to pay that much for an inferior and/or low quality filter.

That is what I was getting at. Bypass filters oil lasts 10s of thousands of miles. If filter wasn't doing its job, wouldn't TBN retention not hold? I agree about perceived visual look of that filter...makes me want to cut open mine after 1 year of usuage.

My other point was peoples' judgment of an oil based on visual attributes. That filter looks bad, but maybe that is normal visually...though I fully agree it looks scary.

That is what I was getting at. Bypass filters oil lasts 10s of thousands of miles. If filter wasn't doing its job, wouldn't TBN retention not hold? I agree about perceived visual look of that filter...makes me want to cut open mine after 1 year of usuage.

BP filters pass a fraction of the oil a full flow does.

Either way, in another 5-7500 miles we’ll have a used Donaldson cut up and posted. I already posted a virgin C&P several weeks ago. I’ll make sure to side by side them.

Asleepz, I appreciate your pics and knowledge. Needless to say (right or wrong) I am less excited about the filter. Am new to bypass filtration...was just curious if TBN correlated in any way to poorer filtering conditions. Thanks to all.

With no filter the TBN would still be fine, as I said, have you ever seen a UOA for a diesel posted on the site with low TBN even on a long OCI?

Carry on with cut and inspections.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back