Western Illinois Threshers Inc. 50th Annual Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, my father and I went to see the Western Illinois Threshers Inc. 50th Annual Show in Hamilton, IL. There were many old tractors, a couple oil pull threshers, some garden tractors, some automobiles, and a few Mack trucks. This website describes it more in depth:

[dead picture links removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Triton_330

Here is an oil pull thresher/tractor (being used to turn the belt for a sawmill that is outside of the picture).

No.....

that is an Advance Rumely steam tractor.

The Rumely "Oil Pull" used an internal combustion engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh shoot, you're right. There ARE oil pulls in the pictures, and because I had been looking at them, I accidentally wrote the wrong info about it. Sorry. Did you download and enjoy the pics?

Love the old stuff. So glad I don't have to work them though. Modern world much nicer
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Love the old stuff. So glad I don't have to work them though. Modern world much nicer
smile.gif

No kidding. It would take a toll on your back and neck to have to drive one of those everyday.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Thanks for taking the effort to zip and upload those pics.

I am enjoying them

You're welcome! I had a lot of fun and definitely wanted to share the pictures with everyone here on BITOG. My father really wants one of those Ford 8N tractors, with the light grey body and red chassis. Of course I thought the maroon-ish/burgundy-ish red Ford looked fantastic. It was sleek and elegant without looking hoity-toity or gaudy.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
No kidding. It would take a toll on your back and neck to have to drive one of those everyday.

My maternal grandfather, a WWI veteran, so that gives you the time period, never had an internal combustion engine on the farm for his entire life. He retired in the 1960s, and did everything with horses. They'd do the threshing parties, of course, but he hung onto the old ways for a very, very long time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
My maternal grandfather, a WWI veteran, so that gives you the time period, never had an internal combustion engine on the farm for his entire life. He retired in the 1960s, and did everything with horses. They'd do the threshing parties, of course, but he hung onto the old ways for a very, very long time.
wink.gif

Glad to see you saw my photos, Garak.
smile.gif

I bet he cared greatly for his horses, too. Bonds between farmers and animals are usually pretty strong.

We don't have a farm "per se," but we do have 6 acres of property out of town. My mother has 2 horses (Zip and Sangelina) and a miniature donkey (Isabella). She rides the horses, and the donkey is just for good company (and to ward off coyotes and such). We don't use them for work, as we have a late 90s/early 00s Cub Cadet 7205.

I don't know how he did it for so long. My paternal grandfather was older still, but moved onto internal combustion engines decades earlier.

He did everything with the horses, and never drove a car in his life. He used horses in WWI to tow artillery pieces. He farmed with horses. He took horses to town and to church. My paternal grandfather used them when he had to, but moved on as time and technology permitted.

When my dad took over his dad's farm, he moved towards mostly crops, so that the only animals around by the time I came around were the birds, and I don't mean chickens, either, just the wild ones.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I don't know how he did it for so long. My paternal grandfather was older still, but moved onto internal combustion engines decades earlier.

He did everything with the horses, and never drove a car in his life. He used horses in WWI to tow artillery pieces. He farmed with horses. He took horses to town and to church. My paternal grandfather used them when he had to, but moved on as time and technology permitted.

When my dad took over his dad's farm, he moved towards mostly crops, so that the only animals around by the time I came around were the birds, and I don't mean chickens, either, just the wild ones.
wink.gif

Yeah, some people stick hard to tradition, while others adapt to new ways. My maternal grandfather (who I never met, as he died a year before I was born) - who was a coal miner, rather than a farmer - used to put leaded gas in cars that were supposed to run unleaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back