Ok, I may have a problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, so I was out at a drapstrip tonight until about 11:30 or so. On our way out, my buddy called to let me know that my taillights weren't working except when I brake. Upon checking here's the situation. When I turn my lights on (Non-auto headlights) My headlights and rear license plate lights work fine. Taillights do not work at all if I don't press the brake. When braking, taillights work fine. Blinkers work, hazards work, but not normal taillights for just driving down the road. No interior lights work either. I do have the bulb warning light illuminated on my dash. This was turned on Friday, so I'm assuming I haven't had taillights since then. It turned on after I disconnected my rear seat interior lights (Did this while removing headliner to remove shark fin antenna for roof wrap) I did unplug the lights with the battery connected. I did plug the rear interior lights back in but no activity. I'm praying its just a fuse (its 1 AM here and I wanna sleep) since I'm 200 miles from home and don't have a ton of tools to work with. Thanks in advance! 2015 VW Jetta 1.8t

Those are normally dual filament bulbs , pretty cheap to test a new bulb. Both filiments have to be good to work correctly.

Last edited:
In many cars, the dash lights and tail lights run on the same fuse. It's a safety precaution, so that you'll notice not having dash lights at night and be inclined to do something about it. Identify the fuse and change it.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
It's a safety precaution, so that you'll notice not having dash lights at night and be inclined to do something about it. Identify the fuse and change it.

Yes, same here. Discovered this when my trailer tail light wire shorted to the frame.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Those are normally dual filament bulbs , pretty cheap to test a new bulb. Both filiments have to be good to work correctly.

^^This. Many times just one filament burns out, while the other filament keeps working. Just because the brake/turn signal filament still works, doesn't mean the bulb is good. The taillight filament is probably burned out in both of them.

Ok, so put new fuse in, it blew as soon as I turned the lights on. Tried a few and they each blew. Where should I go next?

There is a wire shorted to ground somewhere. Start by looking at the wires you disturbed. If you unscrewed a piece of trim you may have accidentally driven the screw through the harness when putting it back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back