What coolant to use on a 2002 Lincoln 4.6L DOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 years is now up on my last coolant change which was last done due to a radiator replacement. I just assumed the car took the old "green" stuff. Now I'm not so sure. The fluid looks more lighter green or yellow like an AMAM universal coolant. It could be the Ford/Zerex G05 stuff. The last 2 coolant change invoices only listed "anti-freeze." Spent a couple hours last night just reading up on things. Best I can come up with is that Ford used green up through 2002....then G05 (HOAT) ever since.

I want to use the optimum fluid for this car. It's too bad I wasn't up to speed on what was used before. Whatever had been used seems to have done the job. Can't even be sure that the few flushes/drains were done with the same coolants (IAT, OAT, HOAT). For the past year I've been using Prestone AMAM Dexclone (OAT) for several cups of topping off....though completely unaware that this stuff wasn't just the old IAT/green stuff....and that "universal" now means DEXCOOL "lite." My Chevy has used GM DexCool since day 1...and has worked fine. At least those bottles said DEXCOOL right on them.

What to use now going forward?

If you can find it, use Peak Global Lifetime full strength and dilute it yourself. It's a non 2-EH formula that is phosphate-free and silicate-free.

Looks like 2002 was the transition from the green to gold. Going to have to check the manufactured date of the car.

The OEM gold does meet Ford WSS-M97B51-A1.

Searched Pepboys Ebay store, and they don't have it listed. Zerex GO5 would work too if it takes the gold.

The 2002 Lincoln takes the old fashioned Green Coolant.
There is even a sticker on the tank, or there should be warning you not to put in the yellow. Green Only.

Thanks for those links and charts. 7/15/02 seems to be the demarcation line which would cover nearly all of the 2002's built. Checked my VIN against the Ford ETIS site and was a very early build on 7/30/2001...one of the first 1,000 Lincoln's built that year. So apparently it originally came with the Green stuff. I sort of agree with Donald that going to a more system friendly G05 makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
There is even a sticker on the tank, or there should be warning you not to put in the yellow. Green Only.

I was confused by the Owner's Manual where it listed 2 separate coolants that "could" be in the car from the factory (green and yellow). But in checking the decal on the coolant reservoir the only US spec listed is the green (ESE-M97B44-A). And the green fits with my build date and chart Simple_gifts posted. It conflicts with the Easy Match car care link by BigD1 which states to use Ford Yellow (5yr/150K mile) extended life coolant. On the reservoir sticker (and owner's manual) are warnings not to add "orange" coolant (full DexCool) or it can leaded to degraded engine protection (which I assume means once mixed, you only get the shortest life of the two coolants). Panzerman is right on it.

Still, very confusing to me that DexCool comes in other colors than orange. And that universal coolants are now DexCool "lite" clones.

Thanks to all.

Trust me, you CANNOT go wrong with Premium Gold G-05-I've retrofitted several vehicles to it, my old '82 300D (and ran it for 8 years with no issues except occasional topoffs), and the '93 GMC diesel C3500 in my sig. Just drain & refill every 5 years or so with distilled. Look for this sticker on the expansion tank-

My expansion tank only has the "no orange" warning. Nothing on there about OK (or not OK) to fill with "yellow." Just a single "no orange" sticker. And of course confusing as all heck that the universal coolants are now both yellow/green looking. I would suspect the G05 coolant would be ok in my car. For all I know, it has been used before. I have no idea what's in it now. Best to start fresh.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

I was confused by the Owner's Manual where it listed 2 separate coolants that could be in the car (green and yellow). But in checking the decal on the coolant reservoir the only US spec listed is the green (ESE-M97B44-A). And the green fits with my build date and chart Simple_gifts posted. It conflicts with the car care link by BigD1 which states to use Ford Yellow (5yr/150K mile) extended life coolant. On the reservoir sticker (and owner's manual) are warnings not to add "orange" coolant (full DexCool) or it can leaded to degraded engine protection (which I assume means once mixed, you only get the shortest life of the two coolants). Panzerman is right on it.

Still, very confusing to me that DexCool comes in other colors than orange. And that universal coolants are now DexCool.

Thanks to all.
Also DO NOT USE THE ORANGE! My brother had a '99 Taurus 3.0 that somebody put orange in with the original green, he fought with a plugged heater core & radiator for a while. The "universal" Dexclones like Prestone AMAM, Peak Long Life, etc. won't cause a problem, but the orange ones like Havoline will.

My expansion tank only has the "no orange" warning. Nothing on there about OK to fill with "yellow." And of course confusing as all heck that the universal coolants are now both yellow/green looking. I would suspect the G05 coolant would be ok in my car. For all I know, it has been used before. I have no idea what's in it now. Best to start fresh.
The chart posted above has "GY" on it, which means either one can be used. The good news is, G-05/Premium Gold and green work well together, the block drain on my '93 6.2 was under a motor mount, so I never drained the block when I changed to Gold-but it didn't hurt a thing.

I knew not to go orange since my other car is full DexCool orange. And there were lots of warnings I read about when mixing "other" stuff with orange DexCool. But had no clue until yesterday that the new "universals" were a semi-DexCool with 2 EHA. And I thought engine oils and trans fluids were challenging...lol.

So would I be correct to assume that mixing original green, G05 yellow, and the universal AMAM DexCool lites shouldn't pose a problem or make sludge? It's the only the orange and other odd concoctions (blue, red, purple, etc.) that cause big problems when mixed?

I have the same engine as you in my Aviator- it uses the Motorcraft Premium Gold/G05 antifreeze.

Really, most coolants will work fine as long as they're not mixed.

Confusion cleared up!
10.gif

13 years ago, this excellent 2004 Paul Weissler article was the go-to reference to clear up this confusion: https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/082004_04.pdf

The one single "possible" advantage mentioned in the article regarding the use of conventional green coolant is:

"Original equipment coolants are validated for factory replacement parts. One of the issues that may arise is the use of an aftermarket replacement radiator or heater core made of copper-brass with lead solder. We have in previous articles pointed out that today's coolant inhibitor packages contain a small amount of copper-brass protection, but may provide little protection if a radiator is made with high-lead solder. Results of industry standard tests of the new Toyota extended-life coolant now show a substantial weight loss (corrosion), both in a 50-50 mix and in a 33% coolant mixture (solder corrosion is much greater in this more diluted solution).

If you have to change a radiator or heater core, use aluminum. Or, if it's an older car and the owner wants the lowest-cost radiator, you might procure a soldered-together copper-brass unit. Conventional American coolant should provide better protection against solder corrosion, which can result in radiator tube restrictions and leaks. But no coolant provides perfect protection.
"

Another important thing to remember is that today's conventional green coolant is low silicate, not the "snot nose green coolant of death" of yesteryear. Check out the Zerex tech. pages to see that conventional green and G-O5 have nearly the same silicate concentrations and they both claim 5 year life. Although, I still would change the green coolant more often.

Since you stated that you used OAT coolant for top ups, if it was mine, I would do a complete flush before installing your new coolant. Mixing coolants might not cause catastrophic failure, but there is no need to do it and why risk interfering with today's delicate coolant chemistry.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

I was confused by the Owner's Manual where it listed 2 separate coolants that could be in the car (green and yellow). But in checking the decal on the coolant reservoir the only US spec listed is the green (ESE-M97B44-A). And the green fits with my build date and chart Simple_gifts posted. It conflicts with the car care link by BigD1 which states to use Ford Yellow (5yr/150K mile) extended life coolant. On the reservoir sticker (and owner's manual) are warnings not to add "orange" coolant (full DexCool) or it can leaded to degraded engine protection (which I assume means once mixed, you only get the shortest life of the two coolants). Panzerman is right on it.

Still, very confusing to me that DexCool comes in other colors than orange. And that universal coolants are now DexCool.

Thanks to all.
Also DO NOT USE THE ORANGE! My brother had a '99 Taurus 3.0 that somebody put orange in with the original green, he fought with a plugged heater core & radiator for a while. The "universal" Dexclones like Prestone AMAM, Peak Long Life, etc. won't cause a problem, but the orange ones like Havoline will.

Your brother had issues because the coolants were mixed. The reality is that DexCool would have worked well on it's own. Also keep in mind (if you didn't already know) that those cars would plug heater cores on their own accord due a bunch of debris and rust in the water passages.

I would not mix any of it just to keep it simple and peace of mind. Drain and fill with distilled water two to three times with thermostat removed until it comes out clear. Install new thermostat plus proper mix of coolant. Done!

Quote:
...So would I be correct to assume that mixing original green, G05 yellow, and the universal AMAM DexCool lites shouldn't pose a problem or make sludge? It's the only the orange and other odd concoctions (blue, red, purple, etc.) that cause big problems when mixed?

I wouldn't assume that. And AF color is unreliable as an indicator of chemistry so I'd take that completely out of the equation. I'd just stay away from anything labeled Dexcool or universal dexclones in the Ford 4.6L application

If my 02 4.6L engine I'd do some distilled water radiator d&fs till it runs clear or close. Then use full strength G05 of choice, Zerex or MC Gold to 50% system capacity. Top with distilled water and good to go.

I like Peak Global Lifetime full strength too, but in this case G05 full strength readily available and reasonably priced is first choice.

Some threads I've read recommend avoiding 2 EHA, silicates, phosphates, and even nitrates/nitrates....same as what Skyactiv said earlier. About the only thing meeting that is the Peak Global Lifetime. The advantage of the silicates/phosphates is that those passivate the metal much more quickly, especially iron (Prestone AMAM univ. DexClone has 1040 ppm phos per pqia). Then again, my 4.6L DOHC engine is all aluminum...not sure about the radiator but that's probably aluminum too being 2 yrs old.

If you're doing drain and fills, or heavy flushes, where do you send all that slightly contaminated water to? I don't think the local recycling center in my town would appreciate 20+ gallons of mostly water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back