Minibike Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1986 Honda 50 minibike in my basement. My son last rode it about 20 years ago. He is 27 now. I am saving it for grandkids, should they have any.
I think I did everything correctly for long term storage when I put the bike away 20 years ago. About ten years ago I changed the oil but did not start it up as there is no gas in the tank. I am going to change the oil again in a couple weeks and am curious to see if the little thing will start. Should I change the oil before starting it or try to get it running and warm up the oil?

Last edited:
I'd change the oil, but I doubt any harm will come if you start and warm it up with the old oil thats in it, even if some of the additives fell out to the bottom.
Put the bike out in the warm summer sun for awhile and kick the engine over without gas in it to get an oil film on the internal parts before firing it up.
Use Shell 93 octane as it has no ethanol in Canada? That bike was made when E0 was the norm.

Man back in the day I had a minibike with an old 3.5hp Tecumseh motor on it. Must have rode that thing every day for 2 years. Funny thing is I never remember doing any maintenance to it. Not even changing the oil
28.gif
Ill never forget some punk stole it from my garage. Little [censored]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would change it because I can. However. The carburetor will probably need more attention than the 10 year old oil will.

I remember applying some kind of permanent coating to the tank prior to storage. I don't recall the brand name. I am hoping it will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back