I closed on my first home on Thursday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I closed on my first home this past Thursday, it's a 1959 rancher on a corner lot. We have the living room, kitchen, laundry room and dining room set up at this point. Looking forward to doing a little landscaping as well.

Get into the attic, and check it's closed to any varmint, and there are open vents allowing air in under outside eaves, and out the top somehow. I see no vents on front. Water and moisture is your enemy.

Oh, and get a good riding mower; you'll need it.

Congrats, we are closing on our first house this coming Thursday.

Last edited:
Now the fun begins. You discover little things that you did not notice when you inspected the house.

I have made a list of various things I wanted to change when I have first bought a house. Half were not done when I sold the house.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 40w8
Get into the attic, and check it's closed to any varmint, and there are open vents allowing air in under outside eaves, and out the top somehow. I see no vents on front. Water and moisture is your enemy.

Oh, and get a good riding mower; you'll need it.

Watch out for snakes! I have replaced rotten wood more than one time on a roof, and discovered shed snake skins. Snakes give me the heebie-jeebies.

Congratulations. I also love ranch style houses. My first and current home is also a ranch in Florida. My cooling bills are significantly less than my friends with similar sized two story houses. I also appreciate not having to go up or down stairs all the time.

Congratulations!

Looks like those bushes need a bit of trimming... (just yanking your chain).
smile.gif

Make lists and keep records of everything. In 10 years you'll be like "I just fixed that last year" and when you look at your records, it'll be 8 years ago!

All the things mentioned like attic ventilation and etc, if lacking, will likely have been noted by the professional home inspector that was required during the purchase negotiations. If Florida requires that. We do here. And the home inspector will always find something to ding, because that is what the buyer is paying them for. Our 2nd house I thought I had it perfect before listing it but the buyer's inspector still found a couple mickey mouse things needing correction.

Oh, and congrats on your first house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back