Under the cover after 76k!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some of you like seeing internals pictures so thought I'd shove this on here!

Land Rover Defender 300TDi with 76k on the clock.

Looking at what paperwork I have for the truck it seems to have had 12k/12month oil changes with 15w40 or 10w40 A3/B4 oils most of it's life (it's 21 years old).

I've done 2 OC's on it with Chevron Supreme 10w40 Semi-Syntehtic although now moved over to a HDEO as of yesterday.

Had the rocker cover off yesterday changing the valve caps and adjusting the valve lash.

The engine was looking in a pretty sorry state where it's been leaking oil for YEARS!
[img:left]http://i.imgur.com/huGGNZv.jpg?1[/img]

I whipped the rocker cover off to find she was very very clean internally.
Uq3eo54.jpg

1wZL7Kz.jpg

Jq3DsSv.jpg

Stuck a new set of valve caps on and adjusted the valve lash to 0.20mm.
IEEKV6k.jpg

Old valve caps looked okay if I'm honest but the valve lash was excessive.
kkL2M4E.jpg

I degreased the rocker cover to remove as much of the varnish as possible and threw a new gasket on it.
LkdbZwH.jpg

Although I'm convinced all the oil leaks are a result of the rocker cover leaking and running down the block I threw a tube of this stuff in too. Hopefully it will soften and swell all the old seals.
ogxmLYg.jpg

I then soaked the engine in a strong TFR for half an hour and pressure washed it off.
E4WguvL.jpg

I was really surprised how clean it was under there. I just need to keep it that way now!

I am considering moving over to fully synthetic oils for the engine, gearbox, transfer box and diffs BUT it only does 3-5k a year and I like to replace all the fluids every 12 months maximum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bailes1992

I am considering moving over to fully synthetic oils for the engine, gearbox, transfer box and diffs BUT it only does 3-5k a year and I like to replace all the fluids every 12 months maximum.

Then full synthetic in all - but the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back