Castrol Magnatec 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are very few vehicles which require a 10W40 so it isn't marketed in America.

We have had Magnatec 10W40 in Australia for decades. It's very common and used by many people here. It's a semi-synthetic that is rated API SN and Euro ACEA A3/B4.

Being A3/B4 means it's a high SAPS and high TBN ( > 10) oil which is good if you are using low quality fuel with high sulphur.

As a 40 grade oil, I think it sits where it is priced and marketed, above the mineral GTX 15W40 but below the full synthetic Edge 0W40.

Has Castrol made a bad oil in the last 30 years ... I don't think so
smile.gif

South Africa still runs on Euro 2 fuel standard .Diesel is 50ppm sulphur ,probably why Magnatec is so popular here .

I'm currently using it in a older vehicle that calls for 20w50 .Noticible difference in engine smoothness ,however i think the "magnetic particles" has everyone fooled into thinking its a good oil rather than the oil quality itself.

Are you saying you are finding the Magnatec 10W40 smoother than the conventional 20W50 ?

That wouldn't surprise me, as I do find Magnatec a smooth oil. Those "magnetic" or "intelligent" molecules are just silly marketing terms for what is fundamentally good oil chemistry. A polar molecule is used in the oil that clings to the metal surface and resists drain back (at the microscopic level) when the engine is off.

Lots of South Africians in Australia, they fit in well here. They know how to spell sulphur correctly ( no f ) and are thrifty with their pennies. Magnatec is a great value for money oil. I use it myself.

Definetly smoother running on motor , even runs cooler meaning the oil is transfering the heat well .

It's a good oil and if you can find it at a good price keep using it. I think it's better made than most old school 20W50 oils which can be API SG or something. The best modern 20W50 around me is the semi-synthic Valvoline MaxLife, but I would still prefer the Magnatec 10W40 if my car ran fine on the 40 grade and if it didn't show excessive consumption.

I spent a bit of time in Jo'burg and Cape Town for work. Very welcoming people, lots of steak and beer every night.

Originally Posted By: Matt97
Definetly smoother running on motor , even runs cooler meaning the oil is transfering the heat well .

........ or this Magnatec is generating reduced heat under identical operating conditions, never mind it's increased drag from xW40 ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back