Noticed some weird play on the wheel...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So imagine you're looking at a sedan from its passenger side where you can see both wheels, both doors and the fender.

In motion the wheels are only supposed to spin in place (or turn when steering).

While I was watchin someone park this car from the passenger side, I saw the front wheel literally move a few inches toward the front of the car (toward the wheel well liner) and then the back (toward the opposite side). This only happens when braking. The wheel remains pointed straight while this happens.

Before I remove the wheel and start randomly looking around (going to focus on the LCA first), does anyone have a good idea of what would cause this?

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
So imagine you're looking at a sedan from its passenger side where you can see both wheels, both doors and the fender.

In motion the wheels are only supposed to spin in place (or turn when steering).

While I was watchin someone park this car from the passenger side, I saw the front wheel literally move a few inches toward the front of the car (toward the wheel well liner) and then the back (toward the opposite side). This only happens when braking. The wheel remains pointed straight while this happens.

Before I remove the wheel and start randomly looking around (going to focus on the LCA first), does anyone have a good idea of what would cause this?

A "few inches"?? Holy cow, a failure of that magnitude should be quite apparent in a visual inspection. My Accord had a CV shaft failing that moved less than 1/8" and that made both a noise and a visible movement in the hub when inspected. Focus on those components which are intended to restrain forward and aft movement of the hub.

Whatever the cause that is a serious and potentially life-threatening failure.

My mercedes w123 does this. Its suspension is fairly weird and doesn't have lower ball joints/ control arms below spindle level. Disconcerting when I torque lug nuts on the ground and the wheel rolls slightly (not inches tho)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My mercedes w123 does this. Its suspension is fairly weird and doesn't have lower ball joints/ control arms below spindle level. Disconcerting when I torque lug nuts on the ground and the wheel rolls slightly (not inches tho)

Skip to 0:42 on this video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back