How old is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son bought me this old unopened can of Valvoline as a gift (you know when you have a reputation as an oil nut!) But I'm having a hard time figuring out how old it is. I can't find much on these API specs. My guess is the 1950's?

Better find another photo hosting site besides Photobucket!
frown.gif
Or just upload the photos on BITOG.

That is a non-detergent 20W-20 oil from the 50's

Quote:
Once it became available in the early 1950’s, General Motors accepted the use of multi-grade S.A.E. 10W-30 as a replacement for S.A.E. 10W, 20W and 20 grade oils in all their automobile brands retroactive to 1935. These new multi-grade oils were formulated to meet the highest API service classification at that time, “For Service MS” or “For Service MS-DG”, as were the new 5W oils. The other 2 API service classifications in use at the time were ML and MM. These API (American Petroleum Institute) classifications were relatively new in 1952. Prior to the implementation of API classifications, it was up to the refiners to grade their oils as “regular”, roughly the equivalent of MM, and “premium” or “heavy duty” which equated with MS or MS/DG.

Ref:
http://www.earlytimeschapter.org/engineoils.html

Those service classifications were used after 1955, through the early 1970s.

The 'Chemaloy' trademark was registered in 1961, so this container wasn't made before then.

My guess is that this was the late 1960s, from the reference to "high power output" engines.

Originally Posted By: djb

The 'Chemaloy' trademark was registered in 1961, so this container wasn't made before then.

My guess is that this was the late 1960s, from the reference to "high power output" engines.

Good point, according to my search CHEMALOY was filed as U.S. federal trademark on Friday 15 April 1960 by Ashland Oil Inc., as an oil additive.

Ref:
http://www.trademarkia.com/chemaloy-72095136.html

So yes, a 1960's oil most likely.

BTW Valvoline Australia even today still use the term chemaloy in their Engine Armour range of oils
Quote:
Valvoline Engine Armour 15W-40
Synthetic Blend formulation chemaloy additive system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: djb

They had full color ads with ChemAloy in 1960.

Originally Posted By: Rand

They had full color ads with ChemAloy in 1960.

Did they have colour back in the 60's ? I thought everything was back and white back then.

Oh yes, I remember now, colour was accidentally invented by hippies in the 60's in a tie die accident.

Last edited:
So if its from the 1960's then it's probably better than SA oil, right? Wonder what sort of additives they had in something like this? SR5 said it was "non-detergent" so does that mean nothing is in it besides just mineral oil? What was the function of the "miracle" Chemalloy
smile.gif
?

Originally Posted By: Scout1
So if its from the 1960's then it's probably better than SA oil, right? Wonder what sort of additives they had in something like this? SR5 said it was "non-detergent" so does that mean nothing is in it besides just mineral oil? What was the function of the "miracle" Chemalloy
smile.gif
?

I think some Brad Penn racing oils have a LOT of anti-wear additives, .... yet are still "non-detergent"

Non-detergent doesn't necessarily mean "100% oil with no additives"

It would be fun to do a REAL (not blackstone) virgin oil analysis on this!

Originally Posted By: Scout1
What was the function of the "miracle" Chemalloy
smile.gif
?

The best I can tell, it seems to be an anti-wear additive - maybe just a touch of ZDDP? Hard to say.

Early ads also hint at some light detergent function of the oil - but they *all* probably claimed that!

Originally Posted By: Linctex

It would be fun to do a REAL (not blackstone) virgin oil analysis on this!

That would be interesting! All I've ever used was Blackstone. Where do you recommend and how much do they charge? Wonder if I could get some out of the can without destroying my souvenir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back