Food stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as the article goes it's correct. In other words, there's a lot of stuff in your local grocery store that you should not purchase especially if you plan to eat it.

Since I got hit with cancer my wife and I shop at the local farmer's market and at the local farms. We do very little business with grocery stores, anymore if at all. I have completely changed my eating habits after turning down chemotherapy and radiation and a bunch of dangerous drugs. I'm still alive. My almost always fatal cancer has receded and I'm healthy, again. I'm convinced that ducking the "usual and customary treatment" and changing my eating habits saved my life.

Institutional nutrition is about color, salt, fake sugar, fat, firmness, shelf life, GMO's, special interests and propaganda. It's better business through chemistry. Very little has to do with what's good for you and your family.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
As far as the article goes it's correct. In other words, there's a lot of stuff in your local grocery store that you should not purchase especially if you plan to eat it.

Since I got hit with cancer my wife and I shop at the local farmer's market and at the local farms. We do very little business with grocery stores, anymore if at all. I have completely changed my eating habits after turning down chemotherapy and radiation and a bunch of dangerous drugs. I'm still alive. My almost always fatal cancer has receded and I'm healthy, again. I'm convinced that ducking the "usual and customary treatment" and changing my eating habits saved my life.

Institutional nutrition is about color, salt, fake sugar, fat, firmness, shelf life, GMO's, special interests and propaganda. It's better business through chemistry. Very little has to do with what's good for you and your family.

thanks for you response and for a continued recovery.

Thanks for posting Courier. It's a very pertinent issue and IMO we MUST take an interest in food, poisons and how our own bodies work. One of the local foundations for cancer made a recent announcement that they expect a full 50% of the population to get cancer of some type. If there's any merit to that claim, then it's almost like they know something we're all not talking about.

OneEyeJack - THAT'S AMAZING. Making the decisions you've made just might be exactly what saved you from early death or prolonged suffering. Never give in and never give up!! Sometimes we just have to PROTECT OURSELVES from convention. Hard decisions to make, but often times the best one
cheers3.gif

Did you know there are anywhere from 9 to 11 teaspoons of sugar in a can of soda.....If you drinks 3 cans of coke a day,,,at least 27 teaspoons of sugar,,,whoaaaaa

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Thanks for posting Courier. It's a very pertinent issue and IMO we MUST take an interest in food, poisons and how our own bodies work. One of the local foundations for cancer made a recent announcement that they expect a full 50% of the population to get cancer of some type. If there's any merit to that claim, then it's almost like they know something we're all not talking about.

OneEyeJack - THAT'S AMAZING. Making the decisions you've made just might be exactly what saved you from early death or prolonged suffering. Never give in and never give up!! Sometimes we just have to PROTECT OURSELVES from convention. Hard decisions to make, but often times the best one
cheers3.gif

There is something to be said for accepting conventional medical advice. Steve Jobs would probably still be alive if he had accepted his doctors' recommendation to have his cancer surgically removed instead of delaying it almost a year while he attempted to treat it with acupuncture and diet. It had metastasized to his liver, which then required a transplant.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
http://www.sweetpoison.com/food-additives-to-avoid.html

We put the best oils and other fluids in our cars. The best air filters, and so on,,,,,,,,should we not be just as picky with our food selections....If you food comes in cans,,,,check it out.

Who says the lady knows what she is talking about? Is it just her opinion? There are similar people talking about how bad vaccines are.

While sugar is natural, it can do bad things with you your insulin level.

Consumer Reports health has said there is no evidence that artificial sweeteners are mad for you.

I am all for eating local unprocessed foods however.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

cheers3.gif

There is something to be said for accepting conventional medical advice. Steve Jobs would probably still be alive if he had accepted his doctors' recommendation to have his cancer surgically removed instead of delaying it almost a year while he attempted to treat it with acupuncture and diet. It had metastasized to his liver, which then required a transplant.

Don't talk about Steve Jobs if you don't know what was going on. I knew him since the days of the Lisa and we talked often about our cancer. His cancer was advanced to point of no return long before he turned down additional traditional treatment and he knew it.

If you take his cancer cell size and back track the cell size doubling cycle time his cancer started in his 20's. The 60 Minutes story was laughed at by oncologists and other practitioners of various disciplines. It was nothing but a fluff piece with no real substance. It was an insult to a man that knew exactly what was going on. He lived much longer than 90-95% of male adults with the same clinical diagnosis. His doctors agreed that his diet was a very positive force in surviving as long as he did. They also agreed that his work sometimes helped and sometimes did not. To infer that Steve was capricious, ill informed and out of touch with his cancer is not an accurate conclusion. He was not a very sociable, friendly, hang out with the crowd kind of guy and was disliked by a lot of people but he knew exactly what he was doing with his health.

Lot of fear mongering. Except for the BHT and BHA part, the rest is taken out of context. Can these chemicals cause cancer or make you die? Sure. Caffeine? Latest research shows 3-5 cups per day is actually good for you. MSG? Your body naturally produces MSG in the intestines through bacteria. Same for nitrites/nitrates.

Don't know of too many foods that contain Olestra. Usually used in foods that were/are low fat versions of something that is fried, like potato chips. Not used too much more because it tends to make people use #2 sooner than expected. Certain people have sensitivities to sulfites, but it honestly can do things that natural processes would take 10 times as long to do and give a cleaner flavor.

At the end of the day the basic rule is everything in moderation. Like the thing about aspartame, I think for it to reach the Ld50 value (amount to kill half a given population on a kg of substance/kg of body weight) you'd have to drink several hundred cans every day (when googled I found one article stating 1900 twelve oz cans per day). If you are drinking 1900 cans of Diet Coke every day, brother you've got bigger problems.

It's about four things - making money, flavor/texture, logistics and keeping foods cheap. If a manufacturer couldn't extend the shelf life as far as they could without affecting the eating qualities, they have to charge more for the food since the grocery store would have more returns for expired product. The US spends the least amount of money on food as a percent compared to what they earn.

http://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/12/this-map-shows-how-much-each-country-spends-on-food

Only 6.4%. The lowest in Europe is the UK at 8.2%.

Logistics is the hardest part, quite hard to have one manufacturing location and make every shelf at every grocery store stock your product. Having the right product in the right place at the right time is tough, hence another reason why shelf life is so important. Can't have fresh bread when it takes 3 days to deliver the food, driving up costs due to the additional manufacturing locations.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
OneEyeJack, it's great to hear you're doing well! Keep it up!

Hear, hear!!

Ever since I started getting food allergies in 2010, I've been trying to eat as close to nature as possible; no prepared foods and healthy options. I've started reading the labels, and man I tell ya I run from some foods I used to love.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

cheers3.gif

Don't talk about Steve Jobs if you don't know what was going on. I knew him since the days of the Lisa and we talked often about our cancer. His cancer was advanced to point of no return long before he turned down additional traditional treatment and he knew it.

If you take his cancer cell size and back track the cell size doubling cycle time his cancer started in his 20's. The 60 Minutes story was laughed at by oncologists and other practitioners of various disciplines. It was nothing but a fluff piece with no real substance. It was an insult to a man that knew exactly what was going on. He lived much longer than 90-95% of male adults with the same clinical diagnosis. His doctors agreed that his diet was a very positive force in surviving as long as he did. They also agreed that his work sometimes helped and sometimes did not. To infer that Steve was capricious, ill informed and out of touch with his cancer is not an accurate conclusion. He was not a very sociable, friendly, hang out with the crowd kind of guy and was disliked by a lot of people but he knew exactly what he was doing with his health.

Then why did he end up getting the surgery done 9 months after the diagnosis? As well as seek experimental treatment and go full force into conventional treatments? It's sounds more like those and the access to the best conventional healthcare are what prolonged his life after delaying the one surgical treatment that would have been the most effective.

I never said he was capricious about it, but it was pretty well known that people around him were telling him to get the surgery done quickly. Of course there are no absolutes, but given that he did get the surgery done, how did delaying it help?

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Lot of fear mongering. Except for the BHT and BHA part, the rest is taken out of context. Can these chemicals cause cancer or make you die? Sure. Caffeine? Latest research shows 3-5 cups per day is actually good for you. MSG? Your body naturally produces MSG in the intestines through bacteria. Same for nitrites/nitrates.

Don't know of too many foods that contain Olestra. Usually used in foods that were/are low fat versions of something that is fried, like potato chips. Not used too much more because it tends to make people use #2 sooner than expected. Certain people have sensitivities to sulfites, but it honestly can do things that natural processes would take 10 times as long to do and give a cleaner flavor.

At the end of the day the basic rule is everything in moderation. Like the thing about aspartame, I think for it to reach the Ld50 value (amount to kill half a given population on a kg of substance/kg of body weight) you'd have to drink several hundred cans every day (when googled I found one article stating 1900 twelve oz cans per day). If you are drinking 1900 cans of Diet Coke every day, brother you've got bigger problems.
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back