GMC ton van w/4.3 V-6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove around a hundred mostly highway miles in a new one of these the other day.
While the V-6 might not seem like enough engine for such a large and heavy vehicle, it seemed perfectly adequate and was fairly silent in use. There is no 6.0 thrill when you leg it, but it is capable of merging onto a fast interstate without issue.
The van overall was pretty nice to drive, although ride and tracking seemed not quite as good as the old E350.
This V-6 is apparently a fairly sophisticated design with CVVT (not sure how that works with a single cam pushrod engine), DI and alloy block and heads.
We'll see how well this thing holds up in transport fleet use as compared to the bulletproof 142K six year old E350 it replaced.
I'll bet that if we don't tell the drivers, they'll never know that it's a V-6 and if we do tell them they'll cry to me for as long as we have the vehicle in service that I should've gotten a V-8, although I was not the one who selected this engine.

GM's 4.3 was redesigned probably 3-4 years ago. It is an LS-based engine and puts out around 300hp. Pretty stout.

This is a new design based upon the current V-8 while the old one was based on the SBC.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I thought the one ton was a 4.8 L V8 on up only?
You talking about a 3/4 ton?

The GVWR on the door post was around 9700 pounds, so you tell me.

Originally Posted By: redhat
GM's 4.3 was redesigned probably 3-4 years ago. It is an LS-based engine and puts out around 300hp. Pretty stout.

It's the standard motor (on the 1500s) now isn't it? The 5.3 is usually a line item on the sticker at an extra cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

It's the standard motor (on the 1500s) now isn't it? The 5.3 is usually a line item on the sticker at an extra cost.

No, it's not.

First, there is no 1500 anymore, only 2500 and 3500. Second, G-vans do not get any of the Gen. V engines. The only available gas engines are the Gen. IV 4.8L (L20) and Gen. IV 6.0L (L96).

The 1500 and V6 were dropped after the 2014 model year.

OP is either driving an older model with the old 4.3L V6 or he's driving a new V8 and doesn't realize it.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I thought the one ton was a 4.8 L V8 on up only?
You talking about a 3/4 ton?

The GVWR on the door post was around 9700 pounds, so you tell me.

I think you have a 4.8 if it is new.
I can't see them putting a 6 in the 3500

Smaller engines are getting more power out of them. Ill bet the 4.3 is equivalent to big block v8 engines back in the day.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

No, it's not.

First, there is no 1500 anymore, only 2500 and 3500. Second, G-vans do not get any of the Gen. V engines. The only available gas engines are the Gen. IV 4.8L (L20) and Gen. IV 6.0L (L96).

OP is either driving an older model with the old 4.3L V6 or he's driving a new V8 and doesn't realize it.

Correct.

Gas options: 4.8, 6.0 LS V8s

Diesel options: 2.8 Duramax I4

The 4.8L is used in a LOT of vans and feels like a V6 in that application.

It is a '17 and is brand new.
I'll look again, but I'm pretty sure the sticker under the hood said 4.3 and not 4.8.
GM has done some fleet specials and this may be such a powertrain option for all I know.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

No, it's not.

Yep. The Navy has a ton of the 4.8 3/4 ton vans. The code I work for at Subase Bangor has a 12 passenger 3/4 ton van with a 4.8.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Smaller engines are getting more power out of them. Ill bet the 4.3 is equivalent to big block v8 engines back in the day.

It is better. I remember my old 1989 GMC 1 ton 454 TBI with a whole 215 HP and like 345 ft/lbs of torque. The new stuff amazes me!

I must shamefacedly admit that I was wrong and everybody else was right.
The engine is a 4.8 V-8 and not a 4.3 V-6.
Still pretty gutless, but with two more cylinders.
We have a 3/4 ton GMC van with the 6.0 in our fleet and it has really decent power.
Go figure.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I must shamefacedly admit that I was wrong and everybody else was right.
The engine is a 4.8 V-8 and not a 4.3 V-6.
Still pretty gutless, but with two more cylinders.
We have a 3/4 ton GMC van with the 6.0 in our fleet and it has really decent power.
Go figure.

Being the smallest of the LS pack and pretty much intended to be a work truck engine from the start, the 4.8L has never felt very powerful in stock form. We have a 2013 GMT900 Silverado at work with a 4.8L that is supposed to have something like 300 HP/300 ft lbs, but it doesn't feel like it. It has some stupid 20" Chinese replica wheels on it (probably heavier than real OE wheels), which I'm sure hurt, but our older 295 HP or so 5.3L GMT800s feel a lot more powerful. The 5.3s do have about 30 ft lbs more torque, but that's not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back