Will you change your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have a 2013 Range Rover Sport HSE lux which is basically a garage queen. Last year it only travelled 100 miles on the new transfused Castrol edge titanium 0/20 extended performance. A Blackstone oil analysis proved that the oil was intact as well as the TBN. This year it will only have traveled 30 miles. Can the oil last two years without changing? It's synthetic unlike Dino. Any feedbacks? Yes, only 16,000 miles.

Previous oil was the dealer's Castrol professional which contained a lot of sodium impurities hence I'm using the bottled Castrol syntec platinum 0/20 extended performance.

Moisture is the problem with an oil sitting in the pan for an extended period of time without getting hot. I would use a name brand conventional instead and change it out every year.

Moisture should not reach the oil. The PCV valve is closed when the engine is off. There should be no way for ambient air to reach the crank-case ... Any by-products of combustion are gone 15 minutes after reaching operating temp. If the cooling system is not leaking, where does this moisture come from ...

I have run low use/miles vehicles for 5 years on the same oil. We have a member here that has 62,000 miles on his AmsOil (with by-pass filtration). Point being that oil is a lot tougher than most think. It can sit for years doing nothing and not degrade.

Cold is the biggest problem. Cooling to sub-zero conditions at just the right rate can lead to gelation. That will not happen in a garage. I'd just let it be
smile.gif

Same with brakes and clutch.

The fluid needs to be flushed every 2 year because of moisture.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Moisture is the problem with an oil sitting in the pan for an extended period of time without getting hot. I would use a name brand conventional instead and change it out every year.

That would have shown up in the UOA from Blackstone, right?

Someone on this site posted a UOA on big rig that had minimal short trip use on conventional oil over a 10 to 11 year period. The oil was fine.

I would keep the oil in and that would be that.

Don't conclude that sodium is an impurity. It's often part of additive package.

What happens to the vehicle over the course of the year? Battery Minder? Driven to get engine and exhaust hot? Fuel stabilizer? Intake checked for mice nests?

Times like this make me miss Poprivit.

Do you have plans to drive it in the future?

At 100 miles a year, you could another 50 years on the same oil.

Wow what a waste...that truck begs to get out more. Oil is fine; as noted above there was a trucker with over 10 years, and I have seen several other UOAs of 4-6 years - all oil in good condition. Agree with making sure it gets good and warmed up when it DOES get driven.

Although the oil is fine, if you used a paper oil filter you may want to consider changing to a synthetic media filter. Changing oil every 5 years would likely be overkill.

Originally Posted By: evois
Can the oil last two years without changing?

Easily Easily Easily Easily

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Although the oil is fine, if you used a paper oil filter you may want to consider changing to a synthetic media filter.

I have never had an oil filter go bad from sitting. Ever.

Don't conclude that sodium is an impurity. It's often part of additive package.

What happens to the vehicle over the course of the year? Battery Minder? Driven to get engine and exhaust hot? Fuel stabilizer? Intake checked for mice nests?

130 miles in 2 years?! What? Sell the car. No point in even having one with that mileage driven..

Id change the oil. If you can afford a range ro and you only put 30 miles on it in a year, why be worried about cost of an oil change?

I hope you aren't paying insurance on that RR....that would be a lot of money to drive it an average of 65 miles a year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back