Mildew spots/stains on fabric/cloth headliner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most mildew stain removers cannot be used on fabric or cloth, only vinyl as they contain bleach. Anyone know a product that will work on headliner in boat cabin.

Pair that with a magic eraser and a shop vac. Use the cleaner to wet, scrub with the magic eraser the wet it again to rinse and suck the moisture out with a shopvac.

Last edited:
Perhaps an oxygenated-bleach like OxiClean. It acts like hydrogen peroxide when combined with water, not like a harsher "chlorine" bleach.

Contact cleaner is powerful stuff. I've found it works better than engine degreaser, which is why sometimes I use it that way on oil grime on the undercarriage. But it's too expensive by volume to do so regularly.

I'd also avoid anything abrasive like a melamine sponge (Magic Eraser). Most headliner fabrics are too delicate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Perhaps an oxygenated-bleach like OxiClean. It acts like hydrogen peroxide when combined with water, not like a harsher "chlorine" bleach.

Contact cleaner is powerful stuff. I've found it works better than engine degreaser, which is why sometimes I use it that way on oil grime on the undercarriage. But it's too expensive by volume to do so regularly.

I'd also avoid anything abrasive like a melamine sponge (Magic Eraser). Most headliner fabrics are too delicate.

Could I dab on hydrogen peroxide (from medicine cabinet) with a Qtip?

I've never tried it, but it's one of those "cheap household cleaner" type tips.

As the warnings say even with the professional products, "test in an inconspicuous area first."

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
I've never tried it, but it's one of those "cheap household cleaner" type tips.

As the warnings say even with the professional products, "test in an inconspicuous area first."

I'll try it on my old work shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back