Old flares

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for something in my boat and noticed all of my old flares were split open with their inside powder showing. I knew they were old and would not pass as "required flares" but did not expect them to fall apart.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am thinking I really do not need flares if I go on the Hudson or Conn. river and it's less than 2 miles wide. I will

Coast Guard requires flares, don't they?

New ones are maybe $4/each.

I don't understand the problem.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I am thinking I really do not need flares if I go on the Hudson or Conn. river and it's less than 2 miles wide. I will

The flares are required basically in the ocean or great lakes or waters leading to the ocean that are over two miles wide.

We took our split flares and lighted them in the street (ecologically neutral site-but the ecology hadn't been invented yet) with a Bernz-O-Matic torch.
...54 years ago. sniff-sniff

The flares are required basically in the ocean or great lakes or waters leading to the ocean that are over two miles wide.

Thanks. I don't fish in ponds so I didn't realize. ;-)

Why skimp on safety equipment...on all the things I can name worth being cheap about, safety is not one of them.

Or can the OP and his crew all swim 0.99 miles in frigid fresh water?

I can't.

Thanks. I don't fish in ponds so I didn't realize. ;-)

Why skimp on safety equipment...on all the things I can name worth being cheap about, safety is not one of them.

Or can the OP and his crew all swim 0.99 miles in frigid fresh water?

I can't.

Actually using a plain flare on a boat is ugly. They drip hot slag that will melt fiberglass. You need to attach it to a boat hook and hold it overboard.

I have a flare pistol which I prefer. They also sell a USCG approved flashing light.

As for safety I have more fire extinguishers than required and have a fixed and handheld VHF radios.

Many people go boating with only a cell phone. Good luck calling the guy you can see in the distance with a cell phone.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Burn 'em in a brush pile.

They can't handle much, if ANY moisture.

+1 They are a sponge for moisture. Considering the cost it is worth grabbing a few more. Especially if you are going to be boating on patrolled waters. Our boat is on Saranac Lake which hasn't seen a patrol in over 10 years. That aside I would always make sure you have the right equipment for an emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back