Quick Lube used an undersized filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My niece stopped by yesterday driving her 2013 Focus.
I asked her if she is keeping up on her oil changes and she said yes but that she was due for one.
Since I have a 2014 Focus I had the correct filter and plenty of oil so I did the oil change for her.
I was surprised to find a Service Pro 4386 (undersized) filter on her car which was put on by a quick lube place near her home. I'm familiar with this filter since I've run them on my 1zzFE Toyota engine in the past.
It seems to me they must of been out of the correct filter (3614) and used one with the same thread #'s. Unbelievable.

PS: I used QSGB and a Napa Gold filter.

PS 2: My Focus is a 5 speed M/T but my niece has the DCT....surprisingly she hasn't had any problems the 35K that she's had the car...she bought it new...

It won't hurt anything.
People often think engine filters need to be as large as possible, but that really isn't the case.

Look the the tiny filter used on the GM 5.3L V8 in full size trucks (AC PF46 and Napa 7060) - - it's about the same size as the 3614 on your niece's Focus. Crazy, isn't it? It does just fine.

Last edited:
This is extremely common. Did two oil changes for others recently, and both have had what I would consider undersized filters that were put in by the quick lube shop.
Though on one of them (mom's CR-V) I spun back on a Super Tech ST9688, which may seem a tad undersized compared to the 7317's.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
which may seem a tad undersized compared to the 7317's.

The 7317 (Napa 1357) is the same exact size as the one I just mentioned being used on 5.3 Chevy V8's.
It's honestly..... Overkill for your mom's Honda CR-V.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
They probably only stock 6 filters to fit everything.....

Yep, undersized will still get the job done.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
a bit less oil circulating the car, but i've that happen to me, and no problems so far

Probably a few tablespoons less. Percentage wise, tiny difference.

I kind of wondered how a quick lube stocked all sorts of different filters for various makes and models.

One time when I went to the Ford QuickLane with the Matrix they told me while I was waiting that it may take a little longer since they didn't have the correct filter in stock. They would have to go to the auto parts store and get one. Then they did find a filter that fit which turned out to be a little bigger than the normal one. But I thought it was good they told me about it. Last week when I went there they put on an Omnicraft filter. Looks nice.

Exactly. There are interchange charts that oil change places have to reduce inventory. So long a threads, gasket, and bypass specs match, size is not a concern for them.

As said, in the real world, it probably does not matter, but most of us are to OCD to allow that.

Here is one posted by FordBroncoVWJeta from Walmart:

full-73794-9869-img_20170712_162445433.jpg

Is there anything wrong with expecting what the car calls for? If it's smaller than what is spec'd it may not hurt the engine but it's still too small. If the manufacturer thought a smaller filter was perfectly fine why wouldn't they spec it? [censored]

A small filter is going to be more restrictive, operate at higher backpressure, bypass more often and provide less cooling. These issues compound as it plugs up.

I was dismayed to see a little shorty filter on the vette that must have been manufactured exclusively for valvoline. It was about 1/2 - 2/3 the size of a pf25/ph30. Why. Stupid MBA bean counters.

Then why does industry specify filters that are all over the map, if only a handful of filter sizes will do the job?

Originally Posted By: Kestas

Then why does industry specify filters that are all over the map, if only a handful of filter sizes will do the job?

Lube joints stock fewer filters to lower cost. The "industry" creates filters for every conceivable application and configuration to get people buying more filters. The two entities simply work at cross purposes for their own selfish fiscal interests.

Last edited:
Reckon a fair number step up on the 5.3L - for me can stock one filter for two motors / yeah, the 3.5L uses more filter than 5.3L ... That and running a thicker oil + better efficiency/capacity... but either gets the job done ...

The media area of the Service Pro 4386 would have to be compared to the Napa Gold media area. If the gasket seats Ok, nothing is harmful. Flow isn't less or more. The same is said over and over when over sized filters are used, doesn't matter as long as it mounts OK. One brand of smaller filter can have more media of another brand's larger filter.

I think the nomenclature "Filter was Smaller than the OEM" NOT undersized. We tend to get our minds a little twisted when we overthink these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back