5w40 needed for a 6.0... Yup another thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So like many, what exactly is going on here with Ford and the specs. My old 6.0 is young at 74k miles. I used my last bit of Delvac ESP 5W40.

What should I go with? I've only seen a list of approved 10w30s on here, nothing on 5w40s.

Suggestions?

Mobil 1 is a really good one, so you've been doing good using their Delvac. Any other major brand is alright to use. I personally trust in Mobil (american owned, unlike SOPUS); of course that's like my opinion, man

Last edited:
I think 10w30 was shown to be a fantastic oil for this engine. Find a cheap conventional or semi synthetic that will play nice with your climate.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
So like many, what exactly is going on here with Ford and the specs.

You mean, with the new CK oils not being approved?

Yes. What's going on with the approvals of the new oil in the new powerstrokes and the old ones like my 6.0. The last document I saw said no backwards or forwards compatibility until further notice.

Yes. What's going on with the approvals of the new oil in the new powerstrokes and the old ones like my 6.0. The last document I saw said no backwards or forwards compatibility until further notice.

I know you've heard this before, John Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30. I just picked up a case earlier today and the price did increase a bit, its now $15.10 per gallon. Its still CJ-4 so no worries with compatibility.

Maryland is not the Mojave Desert. So you can live w/o the 40 at op temp.

+1 on the John Deere Plus 50 oil. It is very, very good oil, and your motor will live long and happy with it in the crankcase
smile.gif

Last edited:
I've said it before but my truck is far from stock. I'm not some kid playing with mommys money neither. The truck is a true 650ish HP truck, when I ran the 10w30 oil I actually saw a slight drop is ICP. Sure the oil degrades to a 30 but it does stay 40 for about 4000 or so miles. Thus I'm changing it anyway soon. That's why I want to stick with a 5w40

Your is a 6.0L, made by Navistar. Navistar has no issue with CK-4 oils. So stick to 5w40 and not worry about it. This whole Ford debacle seems to be geared towards there 6.7L.

I know this is going to sound like heresy, but ...

Have you taken some UOAs? Do you know how your current lube is doing?

After all, if you make a choice to move to a different lube, how will you know if it's "better" or not? (I mean, other than a totally emotional whimsy and the joy of arguing the merits of the unproven with other BITOGers, of course.)

Originally Posted By: NH73
Your is a 6.0L, made by Navistar. Navistar has no issue with CK-4 oils. So stick to 5w40 and not worry about it. This whole Ford debacle seems to be geared towards there 6.7L.

I didn't know that. Can you provide some reading? I'm not challenging you, just like to read and learn.

So like many, what exactly is going on here with Ford and the specs. My old 6.0 is young at 74k miles. I used my last bit of Delvac ESP 5W40.

Is there any real reason to change? The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 may not be on the approved list at the moment (maybe never) but if your vehicle is out of warranty, there's no concern. The new Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is CK-4 only, not CK-4/SN, if that means anything to Ford or you.

NH73's point is well taken. Which other company out there besides Ford has gotten alarmed about CK-4? Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, a low phosphorus E6 lube, is on the approved "E" list for your vehicle, for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Garak

NH73's point is well taken. Which other company out there besides Ford has gotten alarmed about CK-4? Delvac 1 LE 5w-30, a low phosphorus E6 lube, is on the approved "E" list for your vehicle, for that matter.

Yes - - - - but which other company has engines that work the oil so hard?

If you are running HEUI and HPOP, You'll always be concerned about the oil being good enough!!

I've started to come to believe the HPOP is something that should just be changed "every so often", whether it's failed or not.

Is there any real reason to change? The Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 may not be on the approved list at the moment (maybe never) but if your vehicle is out of warranty, there's no concern. The new Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is CK-4 only, not CK-4/SN, if that means anything to Ford or you.

Hey man,
Delvac is getting hard to find once again, so I'm looking for alternatives. I thought I even read that the formula bwa changed and it's not a mostly PAO oil now, or mostly group 4..

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Yes - - - - but which other company has engines that work the oil so hard?

If you are running HEUI and HPOP, You'll always be concerned about the oil being good enough!!

I've started to come to believe the HPOP is something that should just be changed "every so often", whether it's failed or not.

I think the concern for the new oil's compatibility and the enhanced wear is coming from the rockers. Not the heui or hoop system. Granted this is on the newer engines and not the older ones. Who's to say that the 6.0/7.3 guys aren't going to have issues somewhere else besides the rockers, since as you said , we have heui and hpops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back