Daimler 3d printing obsolete parts for older

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had additive manufacturing machines at work for around 2 years.

I figured it was only a matter of time. Lol.

When it comes to restoring and maintaining antique equipment and vehicles... this could change everything.

On Jay Leno's Restoration Blog he often refers to using the 3D printer for impossible to find classic car parts. Most recently he used it for something as mundane as an A/C rotary control knob for an MB. A game changer for the classic car hobby I would think.

I think it is awesome and I would like to see Ford offer this. Maybe not have a 3D printer at every dealer, but have the option to "print" parts on an as needed basis. Even some things like accessory brackets that are aluminum to have the option of having them CNC'd would be great.

A common use for 3D printing is making a "positive" part to be cast. Now that there are machines that print metal parts I can see the need to use casting lessening.

Very cool! I am glad 3D printing is being explored for obsolete replacement parts, something that is often overlooked. Not too surprising that Daimler is one of the early adopters since they seem to appreciate the desire to keep old vehicles around more than most brands.

I had been following along with Cessna's upcoming Denali, a very Pilatus PC-12-like single engine turboprop (I won't call it a clone...because I'm nice). They had chosen the new GE Advanced Turboprop, GE's long awaited competitor to the PW&C PT-6A engine family. GE has been going full bore on 3D additive manufacturing for some time now but the stat that got my attention at the NBAA Show last year was that 3D printing had consolidated 855 parts to 12! At any rate I just looked up the following short GE Reports item that you might enjoy reading.

http://www.ge.com/reports/epiphany-disru...-manufacturing/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back